1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Buy A V4 Monster?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by jamesgarnor, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Just wondering.....

2. I’m not sure it would satisfy my need for a twin cylinder
    I’d have to see one and ride one to know but it seems Ducati’s new path with its proposed new offering of the monster is the wrong way to go.

If I wanted a multi cylinder engine I’d buy one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. This isn't helping but I would buy a V4 Monster if housed in the last model's clothes (or a close resemblance to).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The concept of a Monster is (or was) according to Galluzzi, “ a saddle, engine, two wheels, handlebars and a tank to fill with fuel…”

Now would I ride or buy a V4 naked Ducati - yes quite probably. But would a V4 naked road bike, crammed with riders aids, and way more power than most could ever use -or would use on a public road- really be a Monster? Not really.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. I probably would yes, as long as they made it slightly bigger in stature than the last lot.

As a 6ft plus man they really did end up too small, and half of the appeal of the KTM Superdukes is that they're just a bigger more aggressive sized bike.

Older monsters were bigger, so yeah whack a V4 in one and tune it for torque as opposed to top end like the panigale inspired SF then damn right, I'd buy one.

In fact TAKE MY MONEY

6. No.
    The Streetfighter is the V4 naked bike.

I think the 950 Monster will be the best Monster for riding for some years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I currently ride a Monster 1200R but I also have a Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak.
    IMHO, naked bikes are urban vehicles. They lack wind protection for high speed riding.
    For me, the new 200 hp, 170 mph StreetFighter V4 makes no sense whatsoever.
    It should have been designed somewhat like the Aprilia Tuono that sports a small windscreen.
    I honestly can't see a reason for a V4 Monster. I love the violent grunt of the Testastretta.
    Although the Monster 1200R is 150 mph capable, it's most fun between 40 and 70mph.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Exactly as it was intended to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. How would it be so different from a v4 SF?

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. I’ve looked at Monsters as an initial Mode of transport for me & the mrs to get around Sydney but not sure when the v4 will arrive here and no pricing as yet, this caught my eye as something different 1203cc V twin 123hp and I can get the top spec ex demo for under 12k
    36B9C6AB-C459-40C5-A191-6A9E8941C657.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. If they tuned it differently it could be more 'monsterish'....if that's even a word :joy:

Seriously though, I'm always going to be happy with big bhp figures, hell anything with 150/180bhp, the latter being more Superduke territory, they're plenty fast and powerful enough. Is 200bhp useful on a naked bike? Not really, I'd question whether anything above 150 was really...but the KTM with 180 can deliver the road grunt that brings the fun

What the SF is lacking is big torque at the road rev range and that's why it's sitting at 200bhp

It'd be a better road bike / occasional track with less bhp and bigger torque imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I’d take a KTM over any of the V4 offerings from any manufacturer for a fun bike.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. On the older Monster I spent most of any long journey with my feet on the rear pegs.
    A bike made for the bigger man would be great

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hi Nigel,
    The Monster is nice but it's a terrible choice for two-up riding.
    Although the non-DVT 1200 Testastretta's power is not an issue, the vibration that runs to the pillion foot-pegs is.
    Moreover, the rear seat is narrow and hard.
    My wife hated riding on the Monster whereas in comparison, she enjoys spending a few hours on a Multistrada.
    When you do demo some of your choices, I would suggest bringing the Mrs along for the ride.

#14 DarR, Dec 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. My Mrs is quite happy on the back of my 1200 Monster for a few hours, not that there has been a multistrada to compare to. Best bike for pillion I've had was a 1050 Triumph Sprint, with a Benelli Tornado probably the worst, although even that was fine for her for a couple of hours.

16. Thanks @DarR, I’d buy a 1260 again in a heartbeat as we really enjoyed it, was superb when we did the NC500, but I think it’s a bit ott for our new needs so looking at cheaper alternatives

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Desert Sled?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Mmmmm.....not considered that, loved my ft and cafe racer, another possibility added to the list of test rides :)

19. Nope I wouldn't, I've done with 3 & more cylinder bikes. Too little sensation apart from the speed and acceleration, too easy to ride and a bit more X-box with every new model. I want maximum sensation and fun for the velocity so from 2000 I only spend my money on naked bike singles or twins.

Also I have found that for UK roads I don't use over 100bhp very often and seldom on the best riding roads. Actually my 1200s has more top end hp than I use all winter, but I had to buy it because the design was just so very Vincent :D.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ducati screwed up both the V4 offerings on the StreetFighter V4 and the New Multistrada V4 but for different reasons.
    First, the SFV4 should have had a half-size fairing like the Aprilia Tuono. 200hp is wasted on a naked bike.
    Second, the V4 does not belong in the Multistrada and especially not in the enduro.
    The 1260 DVT is an outstanding engine. They could simply have increased the displacement for more power if needed.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information