1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Wait For 2022/22 Plate Or Buy It Now

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by tricolore, Jan 16, 2022.

1. They can insure it on the VIN.
    I had a honda SP2 insured on VIN until registered for 1st Sept back in 2017 or around that time

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Yes, you can. I’ve had bikes delivered a couple of weeks before registering, and had no issues insuring them.

3. Is it straight-forward for a private individual to register a new UK bike with the DVLA?

4. Snips,
    Hello, I provided the information below to another forum member, but hopefully it might help you.
    If the bike was officially imported into the UK as new, but just not registered prior to purchase, then you should not need to worry about a Nova declaration and outstanding tax and duty, but you should ask for supporting documents. However, you should check if the pdi was done and where, also if the Ducati owners books are present and correct, together with the extras that were supplied with the bike. If the pdi has not been done, then you need an authorised dealer to carry this out, and also establish if there is any manufacturer's warranty available.
    To register a bike with DVLA you need to provide proof that the bike is what you say it is, and this is normally done using the Certificate of Conformance supplied with the bike. If you don't have the CoC, then you could ask Ducati to provide a duplicate, but normally they need you to show that you are the owner of the bike by providing a copy of a registration document; hence a potential catch 22 situation.
    I have gone through this process a few times, with and without a CoC, and it can get very messy if DVLA are unhelpful, and the Pandemic won't help.
    A couple of times, I was lucky enough to have the help of a Ducati dealership and they were able to provide confirmation of the bike's provenance, and also carry-out any outstanding inspection and warranty work. I also managed to get a CoC from Ducati stamped "Duplicato", and acceptable to DVLA.
    Once you have everything you need, complete and submit the necessary forms with documentary evidence to DVLA, and double check the form entries. I suggest you keep copies of everything and use a recorded delivery option. One of the problems with their process is that the various stages that may be involved are dealt with by different people, and consequently responses are often not consistent. However, if you persevere, and complain if necessary, the process should eventually be completed, but it may test your resolve!
    Good luck.
    Tom.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. The difference is, as you say around the £500 mark. It will also slightly impact its desirability. I've tried to buy cars and bikes in the past in similar circumstances and offered to buy them now and have it at home and register it after the reg change date. But dealers have flatly refused. One of the main reasons for these kind of offers is to help them hit sales targets, to qualify the bike / car has to be registered by the dealer. This so it adds to national and international statistics.

If you feel that this offer wont be available after March the first or wont be worth more than the five hundred pound and some then you can make your decision. But it does sound like a good offer and if it's what you want hey, treat yourself, it's a long winter.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I buy all my bikes about now, never worried about the plate, you can drive a hard bargain now

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I couldn't care less about a numberplate but if you do, can't you buy now and register later?

8. I bought my KTM as a pre registered for quite a large discount, it may well be the dealer gets a little bonus for volume of sales per month or they just need it gone as it’s coming up to being paid for.

For me I’d take the discount, like you the plate to me is of no consideration. Might try and bag a pre registered KTM as the discounts look good from some dealers.

9. Most manufacturers set quarterly targets for their dealers, not all are calendar quarters, so some are targeted on sales to the end of January/ February hence the deals. Unfortunately I think Ducati’s is the end of March, which is why dealers aren’t doing much in the way of discounts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I haven't bought a new vehicle for a long time and I buy everything outright so haven't got a clue. I just thought if I pay the dealer, why would they care when it gets registered. The whole plate number thing is a very British problem. I don't know any other country where the date of registration is of interest to anyone. Model year for sure but not the day of registration or a digit on the plate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The main reason for the 22 plate is because If I take delivery now it will just sit in the garage for the next 5 - 6 weeks so why not wait, yes I’m buying for a good price but a 22 plate has to be worth more in a few years therefore my depreciation will be less...

Anyway the dealer has agreed, with a £1000 deposit to register on the 1st March. He had sold 4 bikes this month, all of them for March delivery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I bought my V2S and it was delivered last week (Jan '22). I got the dealer to register it from new with my personal plate.
    I should probably have waited as no big plans to ride immediately - just me being impatient.
    The dealer just needed the license ownership code to put it on from new prior to delivery.
    And as it wasn't on the DVLA registration system yet - Bennetts just insured the bike based on the description of the model.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Buy it now.

By 7 March your new reg number will be meaningless and will have cost you more.

New reg numbers are just a marketing ploy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I’ve just bought a private plate to go on my new Multi. If the bike comes tomorrow I’d take delivery, but it looks like it’ll come well into March at this rate.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information