1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yam rd350 ypvs

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Ghost Rider, Aug 10, 2013.

1. I have an 82 RD350LC, I love that bike. Bought it in 2006 with a full engine rebuild by a guy who knows what he's doing. My bike came second in the French moto tour 2005.

I have done maybe 15 track days with it, thousands of road miles and never changed a piston or had the slightest issue with it, it's been ridden hard and has been 100% reliable.

The later power valve engines are much better, especially the cranks.

Often the problem with these machines is that people 'rebuild' them and they don't really know what they are doing, the engine is very simple but if you want it to give good power and be reliable, it must be done right.

This winter we are goung to strip them top end and check everything. If needed I will put some forged pistons in and then we are good to go for another 5 to 10 years depending upon how much it gets ridden.

I have a TZ350, 2 in fact, they eat pistons, its a proper race bike and its needs new ones every 500 miles'ish. Ring's every 300 miles. It takes about 2 hours to do.

Last weekend I watched my friend race in the French classic race championship, VMA. The TZ's and RD350 Lc's dominate the series, the F1 ducati's are miles behind.

Get a good un and you can do everything with it. Race, track days, ride on sundays or just use it for the office when the suns out!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Our F2 Outfit used the 350 TZ engine...........you are right about eating pistons..........and we used to take a barometer to every race to ensure we had it jetted correctly for the race............

AL

3. @ Gregory - I agree, a good one is a joy... Unfortunately this one doesn't appear to be a good one. Dubious history, which may include abuse and cack-handed rebuilds, would cause me to walk away...

4. YPVS = Yamaha Power Valve System. It consists of a microprocessor-controlled servomotor, which in turn controls a spool-shaped exhaust port valve that allows continuous variable port timing. Nothing to do with intake reed valves...

5. I bought an RD500 10 years ago. Original condition (very good) but engine out, for £750.
    Done up now, they sell for £6k-£9k. There must be a ceiling limit for it though eventually.

Only you will know how much you want it and what you are prepared to pay for it.
    Mine hasn't done a 100 yards since I bought it, but neither do paintings.
    If, like me, you like the fact you have it and can afford it, buy it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rita, sue and bob too? Love that film :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information