1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha MT 07

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Carlos Fandango, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Part of its attraction is the back to basics. I've never had issues with the build quality of Yamahas (I've had 6). If you enjoy the test ride then it will represent excellent value for money. Not as desirable as a Ducati though.

2. It is very similar to monster 696 in speck and quite frankly despite me not liking new mosnter range it is far better looking then that.
    I bet you could get a 2013 model now for about same sort of money seing that 696 ABS 2014 is 7k.

3. i'm a bit intrigued as to why you wouldn't also be test riding a Monster if you like Ducatis. After all, you're getting the same riding position pretty much, but perhaps a bit more style and exclusivity and maybe a more characterful motor. Maybe not. I haven't ridden the Yam. But I'd still ride both before deciding. (Actually I think the Triumph STR looks the biz - very cool).

I wonder what sort of secondhand Monster you can get for 5 grand? Probably a very fine one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don't know why but the Monster doesn't really do it for me. Also on my list is an Aprilia Shiver 750, riding one as well in a couple of weeks, good one can be picked up for around £3,000

5. Good bike, the Shiver, I've ridden a couple and they're very nice. But both the Shivers I've ridden are currently off the road while their owners wait for spares to arrive. This is a big problem with Aprilias, and something you should be aware of. My mate John's Shiver was off the road for 3 months in all while the dealer argued with the importer over a faulty fork stanchion. Spares and backup is very, very poor with Aprilias, and so far it's showed no sign of improving.

6. Aprilia main dealer just down the road from me at Silverstone, spares problems aside, they are a very tempting proposition, great under rated bike, bit left field and stonking value used. Be interesting to ride it back to back against the Yam 07

7. Forget Aprilia's claim of 100bhp for the Shiver, it's more like 70, so the comparison to the MT-07 is very valid. I'd put my money on the Yam, though.

8. Or a 696 with similar light use. No comparison.

9. An update, didn't get to ride it last week as the dealer cancelled it at the last minute "the bike wasn't available" rode a Shiver instead but not for me, which was a shame as I really wanted to like it, throttle was too snatchy in traffic and seat just a bit too high for my short 30" legs. still want to ride the 07 though.

10. Are you still going to test the MT07?

11. Yes, just need to find some time. So hopefully in the next couple of weeks

12. yeah - I think the general consensus is right. Its priced right, all the reviews have been good (sat on one myself in fowlers) the seating position is perfect for me (love my sit-up bikes). I like the dash very Kawasaki-esque with the flashy graphics.

But.

Its not for me - I cant put my finger on it but if anything it looks out of shape....too high at the front and too much of the bike is at the front - does that sound weird? if I look at my hyper from behind it looks "even" if you will, it looks "level" If I drew a rectangle round my bike it would more or less fill it - the shape I would draw around the MT is more of a triangle...

Let me know if im talking rubbish....

PS I do agree with the street triple angle....although the reviews have been good nearly everything ive read has said that while its good its not street triple good.

13. Ive arranged a test ride too. Sounds like the perfect bike commute on. £1500 deposit, PCP for two years for less than £80 a month. Hassle free, new bike in two years. Very tempted :Hungry:

14. I had a hour free yesterday, had a really close look and sat on one at Swindon Yamaha, fits me like a glove, hope to finally ride one over the next couple of weeks when I can grab a couple of hours off work.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carlos,
    You are dragging this out and teasing us. Get on and test it and give us some feedback. Glad it fits you like a glove.
    Cheers,
    Moses.

16. Sorry it's about finding time, the dealer in Newbury buggered me about and I don't have a Yammy dealership on the doorstep, when I popped into Swindon it was spur of the moment.

I'm mega busy at work, and a load of my staff are now off on bloody holiday so it won't be for a couple of weeks now :confused:

17. Can't put my finger on what I don't like....but every review I've read they like, and its good, but, its not street triple good....

18. Honda have thrown a new bike into the mix as well which is another value for money option.

19. I saw the mt in pro-bike last week when I was in there. I liked it actually, might go and have a ride in the next few weeks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information