1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Yet Another F^^^^^^ Blown Fork Seal !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by JimVee, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Well like I said it was only a thought....

Lets hope this time they sort it without any further issues :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. May I ask a few questions @JimVee ? When the "blown" seals were replaced, what did the old seals look like? What exactly was wrong with them? How did each of the lips look? How did the garter look? Do you have photos?

3. If Jim is anything like me, he’ll Rock up, grab a coffee, get his keys and go when done. Without checking what has been done and the removed parts condition, more just try and find out what happened/common fault/should it happen again. They are coffee conversations

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I think most of us are like you:astonished:

5. HI Pete, No idea mate I didn't see any of it just checked the fork seal for leaks, no leaks and rode off. Will be asking next time though.

6. When it went second time he replaces both fork seals just incase the other one went. There wont be a fourth time as the bike will be px-ed for something else.

7. One of the things I like about Snells is that when they replace parts they keep the old parts to show the customer. You can see exactly what was wrong with the old bit and how the new bit is an improvement. I like this. Some other dealers don't do this, which I don't like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Too late now, evidently, but may I suggest you might find it to your advantage to check more closely in future.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. I wonder if the OE parts are shite components ?

10. It's a fork seal - have you ever seen whats involved in one? I doubt it very much. Fork seals can go for all manner of reasons, not least due to abuse or the failure of another part where the seal is employed. A seal failing can generally be put down to any number of factors rather than the seal itself.

11. Not shite on my bike. Infact never had a seal problem on my 900ss ST4s or Multi???

12. I had a seal fail on Ohlins on an RSV4. Replaced, only to fail again. Fork fully inspected, bushes changed along with the seals. Faultless thereafter for the next 15k miles. I see that on the 1299s Ohlins forks, the dust seal now has a coiled spring around it so that it seals better.

BMW S1000R seals don't look too good to me. One of mine is weeping at the moment...

Also, consider asking for a different make of seal to be used. You don't need to use OEM seals. Other brands will fit.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. @razz Thanks and will throw that into the mix. Bike being picked up on Sat morning by the dealer.

14. No, I haven't inspected the construction of a fork seal Rainman, but even if they are a simple construction, might they not be made from inferior materials ?

15. Wheelie fanatic??

16. My Ohlins on an Aprilia have popped - more common with Ohlins - people change to GSX-R 1000 fork seals I have read...

17. No wheelies except the odd unexpected one but not honking a high one everytime.

18. Same here. Took the bike in for recall and service and had to ride a different bike home cos the fork seal had gone. I’m so observant I hadn’t even noticed the oil on my disc Luckily it wasn’t the one with the electronic suspension gear on it (according to dealer) as that would be more costly to replace. I’ll be keeping my eye on the new one for sure

19. Bikes just been picked up by the dealer so hopefully next weekend to pick up.

20. I’ve just the watched the workshop change a fork seal on my electronic Ohlins and it was nothing complicated. I’ll ask when I’m in work next week if the Sachs “skyhook” unit is more complicated that would justify your dealer’s comment. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information