1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Yet Another F^^^^^^ Blown Fork Seal !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by JimVee, Mar 27, 2018.

1. [​IMG]
    Q... Is it just dirt keeping it lifted?

2. In my case, that was the most obvious cause given the roads travelled in the couple of days immediately before I noticed a puddle of oil were filthy and the front of the bike was minging. Way forward for me is to try and cobble/bodge a motocross fork protector. Andy

3. Got one and used that mate, no joy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not dirt here I don’t think. The fork has always been a bit squeaky ever since new so maybe that was a pointer. Bikes always garaged from Oct to Mar and this was its first run out for a few months. Never noticed it on the move only when pushing her around. Mind you the missus squeaks a bit when I push her around too so maybe that’s a lesson for me right there.

5. FWIW
    Fork tubes can be imperfect. Machinists Blue might be worth an application and wipe pff. Should (hopefully) show up pits, burrs or bruises. Possibly even a bad finish.
    SKF are reputed to make the best fork seals. Check to see if they are available for your fork.
    I've never changed seals without flushing and changing fork oil. I seem to remember a reason for this but..
    I would insist on fork oil change if seal is changed. If it was not.
    Otherwise Nietzche experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I had a seal go on my 1198 so fitted the Kriega protectors on my S1KR on day one, probably wise if they are not great (I don’t think I actually studied them).

7. Only other problem I recall is have the fork tube run out checked carefully. If the tube became out of round or bent would likely damage seal.

8. I was about to suggest using some "blue" as I've used it in the past for exactly this, although only on a fully stripped fork stanchion and with a brand new seal to test with - you don't want the old seal revealing where it's been compromised and giving you a false-negative on the condition of the stanchion. Essentially you paint on the "Machinists Blue" in the area where the fork seal would normally run, and then push the seal down the stanchion your hand in one single motion. If the seal is working correctly then it should leave no trace of the blue. If you see a smear or streak of blue then the tube has become malformed in which case replace it (might have had a whack at some point), or if you see specs of blue then it is pitted so getting it re-chromed and re-ground could be an option, but ultimately you have to work out whether replacing or repairing is cheaper.

In this case, it's a warranty job so a dilemma for the dealer to contend with, however they see fit.

The reason for routinely replacing the fork oil is that any minor contamination could end up compromising the seal, and for what fork oil costs vs the time to strip and rebuild then to not replace it is a false economy.

9. Protectors help prevent the issue to some degree but I don't like them because they can hide all manner evil underneath and make the seals "out of sight and out of mind". The root cause isn't so much the quality of the seal but the environment that the seal is subjected to, combined with proper care (or lack thereof) of the suspension. Yes, a quality seal will last longer but the same crap is going to get thrown at it regardless and compromise it just as easily.

Pressure washers can be the undoing of a seal, as can leaving the forks stanchions excessively dirty for periods of time. The location of the seal means that it can be subjected to all manner of issue caused by weather, dirty roads, extremes of hot and cold, and even the aerodynamics of the front fender.

If you use protectors then get in the habit of refitting them so you get to see what lies underneath. You might as well because an MOT inspector is going to do it anyway. Blown fork seal is an obvious MOT failure.

10. One thing you can be assured on Jim’s bike is that it won’t be dirt that’s the problem

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. When you change a seal you have to drain the oil. I can't believe anyone would save it and put it back in
    GSXR seals have stronger springs and if your forks have gold nitride it will disappear very quickly using them

12. @bradders is 100% correct, no dirt on mine usually and always washed by hand followed by a coat of g tech stuff and a kiss goodnight when putting her away

13. Left field question, is the g tech stuff compatible with the seal material ? Clutching a straws to find a reason for several failures. Andy

14. Not sure its that left field. Muck off crap killed my 2013 multi in no time.

15. I don’t think it’s the problem but thanks for suggesting

16. Devils advocate!! I have only used muc off and still on original seals etc.

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  17. Same here. Since my DVT seal was replaced I did over 10,000 miles, including winter use, on that seal with no issues. Always give my bikes a spray over with Muck Off before hosing down, a snow-foam application and a soft brush or mitt, and in the winter that can be a couple of times a week.

• Like Like x 1
  18. To be clear, it didnt wreck my seals, but it did wreck the engine and plated parts finish. Horrid stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. To be fair, if you leave it on too long or apply it on a warm day or on a warm bike, then that will happen. I believe the instructions tell you as much. I apply it to a cold bike using a large pressurised garden bug sprayer, which gets it's on in-bulk pretty quickly and then hose it straight off. If you use the trigger-pump bottle they give you then by the time you've methodically gone all round the bike it can already be drying at the point where you started - which ain't good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Got the bike back yesterday, didn’t ask what they did as already made my mind up to get rid. Complained to Ducati and had a nice call from a lady in Italy apologising then an email from Ducati UK apologising and offering a free service so used that to offset the one being done this week.

Stripped everything off it today and just got to clean the bits up before posting. This is the list of goodies, yet to decide on prices.

upload_2018-4-15_19-27-23.png
    upload_2018-4-15_19-27-49.png

Do Not Sell My Personal Information