1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another reg/rectifier

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Birdie, Jul 20, 2013.

1. I use high temp silicone cables in my installation, awg 10 from the generator and awg 12 for the others. Available from all good model shops ( used on Lipo batteries ) or eBay.
    Steve

2. This is good cable and has a chart on the site for loadings. 5 metres super flexible 12AWG Silicon Wire RED BLACK BLUE you pick | eBay

Plenty of other shops on ebay that sell shorter lengths.

Steve

#22 Birdie, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  3. Well after my electrex reg/rec finally gave up, ( it had been playing up intermittently for a few months and only 16 months old ) I have bit the bullet and fitted the Shindengen Mofset unit.

New spring and reg 006.jpg

Steve

New spring and reg 006.jpg

4. Just wondering how you got on with the Shindengen unit? Cheers

5. Still running perfectly, I wouldn't buy any other if I ever need another.
    Steve

#25 Birdie, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I have fitted the R1/6 (Shindengen) Rectifiers to Ducatis and for my sins my Hondas and never had any issues. The only difference with the Ducati upgrade was to upgrade the wiring from the generator so it could cope!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. We can be sure we cant create energy only move it around, so the power turned from Kenetic to electrical in the alternator cannot be less than the power produced on the DC side of the charging system, which is already less because of efficiency loses.
    If the electrical output (dc) side is rated for 520watts (less losses) at 14.5 volts delivery then; The yellow wires (AC phases) need to at full output to carry at least 1/3 of the total DC output in watts.
    Total DC output = 520w>> Power on the yellow wires (540watts) +- losses Total maximum AC current in the yellow wires will be;= design output (540w) /, (Divided), RMS 14.5v (volts rms) measured between any pair yellow AC outputs Then divided by 3 (3 Wires) I(max)= 520/14.5/3= about 12amps now taking into account, Nortons and Triumphs without starters only needed 200w alternators with charging for starter motor depletion and heated gloves 520watts sounds useful If the AC side is operating at the full expected capacity in watts @80-90 volts then the separate yellow wire load would be 520w/85v/3=2amps/ wire?? for a total of 6amp
    In the above calculation 4A at 80-90v is only 4AX85V=350w total output with each yellow wire only carrying 4/3A=1.33amp?? But I think Ducati alternator is fixed field type and the best place for the rectifier voltage regulator is on a heat-sink aluminum plate, not on the inside of the rear mudguard, where it is exposed to water the on the connectors but has a good cool air supply, most important you put a really good earth on it as well; a bad one seems to burn the control out, this means this sort of alternator produces full output all the time and the excess power is dumped to earth through a Zener diode, which produces heat. set me right where I am wrong please, breakout

Do Not Sell My Personal Information