1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Top 3 (greatest By Poll) Guitarists..

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Noods, May 15, 2017.

?
  1. Eric Clapton

9.4%
  2. Bert Weeden

1.9%
  3. Jimmy Page

7.5%
  4. Eddie Van Halen

1.9%
  5. Mark Knophler

20.8%
  6. Slash

5.7%
  7. Jimi Hendrix

20.8%
  8. David Gilmour

20.8%
  9. Gary Moore

11.3%
  10. John Williams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ha..TBF the OP's title does ask for " the greatest gutarist" after all, and no one brought the guitar to as many worldwide as BW... I know what your saying mind...

Surprised no ones mentioned Brian May yet.... perhaps it's the perm factor putting em off...

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Les Paul and Chet Atkins ??

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pretty Awesome this pair !!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. See my first post on the subject. You are thinking of John Frusciante who is quite superb.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ah yes hims the boy! I knew the face but not the name.. my Son saw him with the peppers and said he was mind blowing ..

6. Without wishing to make anyone jealous, I saw that tour and the other one - is that the Pulse tour and the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour? Something like 1989 and 1993 (don't quote me). Then I saw the Wall show in 1980 (it must have been). I have also seen Gilmour at the Albert Hall and Waters at the O2.

Yes, all the gigs were brilliant, but the final 2 Floyd ones particularly so. Was this due to an amazing performance, the open air Lausanne stadium (or what passes for a stadium in Lausanne) location on a balmy summer evening (both times) or the, ahem, chemical enhancement (seeing as the venue was walking distance from where I lived at the time), I couldn't say. But I have seen many people over the years and the two Floyd shows would definitely be in the top 5 or better.

7. I've seen the Peppers twice but sadly not Frusciante. I shouldn't imagine I'll ever see him now.

8. Really surprised no one has mentioned Prince ?

There are just too many, and it always comes down to personal choice rather than how great someone is. No one mentions Santana, or John Petrucci or etc etc etc, all fantastically talented guys and I dont think there is a greatest guitarist, and there certainly will never be one that folk can agree on. I guess the closest to this universal agreement would maybe have to be Hendrix ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. No mention of Johnny Marr !!!???

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. It's a fun question to debate on a forum but it's a fairly pointless one. Would you also want to say who was the greatest painter, or writer who ever lived?
    It is true that Hendrix was probably more inventive in terms of the electric guitar than anyone else. He used the technology (the various pedals, amps etc) as no one had previously envisaged. So he moved the whole game on a notch.

11. That's Johnny "f**king" Marr to give ,him his full title :)
    JFM.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Agreed end of story.
    Stanley Clarke for bass player.

13. Yes, its a crying shame that Morrissey then comes along and ruins a perfectly good tune with his meandering wittering about everything miserable in his life. Not a Smiths fan but wifey loves em to bits.

14. Oh yes what a shout that is... totally different to anyone else. It oh what a talented guy..
    Prince yes mega talented guy there too.. Hendrix though playing a right hand guitar upside down.. amazing, especially when you consider when it was.. nowadays there's a magic box for evertyhing and more.. I always like the Edges Guitar riffs but, there's a lot of technical stuff going on there with plug ins etc.. saw a prog on YouTube once, about 60mins long with him Jack Black and Jimmy Page.. it was superb, and the one who really shone was JB.. never realised what a talent he was..

15. I forgot to mention this guy in my first post, even tho he is a cousin of mine

Billy-Duffy-Booklet-5.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Is that Billy Duffy?

Love The Cult. Seen em at least 20times. Ace band.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I think he might be a bit of a knob but Bass sound wise always adored Peter Hooks riffs.. Really seemed to drive New Orders stuff...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yeah, I know it's played to death but She Sells Sanctuary, always reach to turn the volume up when that comes on.. some riff..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ive shedloads of Cult on Vinyl. Inc just about every 12" they ever released and some rare ones too. Superb live band and if it is Billy above, his guitarmanship is underrated.

• Like Like x 2
  20. For all round talent, stagecraft and enthusiasm just watch Rory Gallagher here.

#100 dukesox, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information