1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 - Either Really Unreliable Or I'm Really Unlucky

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by J Mac, Sep 16, 2020.

1. So in the 3 months I've owned my seemingly mint 1098 I've had to replace:
    Clutch plates and Basket
    Clutch slave cylinder
    Oil Pressure sensor
    Side Stand switch

....and now I apparently have a more serious issue which I need some help with.

My bike was running fine but then when going up the gears the lever went rock hard when trying to shift up into 3rd, I went down and back up and was fine after that. I then went on a longer ride and it did it again, except this time I had to lean over and pull it up with my hand, felt like it went into gear BUT NO - stuck in 2nd 70miles from home. The lever would then go up without resistance but wasnt changing up gears. I turned around to go back and after continually trying I managed to get up into 4th and made it home fine with the bike changed between 4th and 6th without issue. So seems the issue is semi-intermittent.

As an aside, one of the lights on the dash keeps flickering on briefly before going off - not sure if its engine or gearbox and whether its a related issue or not.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    John

2. Gear selector spring broken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Is that a majorly difficult thing to get to/replace?

4. Behind alternator cover. Remove flywheel, remove arm assy and replace both springs

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. I think a Haynes manual would rate it as a 3 spanner task.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. It only takes one spanner...

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. 1. Remove battery.
    2. Remove Engine and Gearbox Assembly From Frame.
    3. Remove Side Casings.
    4. Change spring.
    5. Assembly is the reverse procedure.

Optional
    A1. You may want to mop up the engine oil you spilled unless you thought to drain it first.
    A2. You may want to bleed the clutch slave, master and the pipey bits in between.
    A3. You should really take your vehicle to a manufacturer approved service centre.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. So I got as far as taking all of the bolts out of the cover but not sure if theres a proper way to actually get it off other than whacking and pulling??

Also found this carnage when removing my brand new clutch slave cylinder - seems that my chain has been chewing through it .....

It worth noting that I do have a friend (Qualified Ducati technician) coming to have a look next week but I thought I'd just make a start and save him some leg work

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

9. How many teeth is the front sprocket?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 32 by the look of it..

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. You need a puller to get the cover off.
    They can be bought cheaply on eBay, or, in my case, I made one from scrap many years ago as detailed in my 916 Haynes Manual ! 1 spanner level of difficulty!

13. It looks like the M6 screw for the cover has backed out and not allowed the slave to sit flat.

The screw still appears to be there

14. That nut / sprocket doesn't look very far on the spinny thing that turns it. Is it on properly?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. John did you replace these or get someone to do it for you?
    where is the roll pin that sits in the clutch push rod? ( the grooves in the slave are where it sits to stop the rod from spinning)
    Is the chain gold from the picture? Has the bike had chain and sprockets? Who fitted these?
    Is the chain in line ie the front the front sprocket the wrong way around? ( hence answering Creamys question?) This would put the teeth of it out towards the slave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. No sorry, I have undone all the bolts after removing the slave cylinder in order to remove the side casing

17. So I'll try and answer to the best of my knowledge....

I did the clutch and basket myself
    The chain is indeed Gold but I'm not sure whether the chain and/or sprocket has been changed in the past - I certainly havent touched them.
    Counted the teeth and the front spocket is 15 teeth, definitely not 32 as suggested by someone.
    The chain looks to be inline and seems that the sprocket is engaged properly, maybe just a bad camera angle earlier?

The question about the roll pin .... not a clue, and assume thats maybe where the issue is?

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

18. so the chain will be close to the slave but obviously shouldn't touch the sprocket nut look ok from that picture, there can be shims behind the sprocket and a spacer

does the chain have a size on it ? Should be 525 as std or 520 race...

19. I'll definitely have a look but I'm certain that the issue isn't with the chain or sprocket as there was no damage to the old slave cylinder when I removed it - was just leaking.

And to be honest I dont see how I could have fitted the new one incorrectly as it's pretty much just 3 bolts and a straight replacement...... ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information