1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 Swingarm Bolt Help

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Daniel Shepheard, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Hi All,

Trying to crack on with an engine replacement and down to the final components (swingarm pivot shaft, eg mount bolts)

However I am having an extremely hard time removing the last portion of the bolt, as you can see via pictures it's almost there but no ammount of whacking,dirt remover,lube seems to be helping. Tried everything I can think of so far. Any help would be appreciated.

(Frame is hooked up to a crane, have tried jacking up engine briefly, wiggling swingarm to try free the alignment / weight on the bolt) 20200805_222012.jpg

Thanks,

Dan.

2. Dan, the end of the bolt hasn't been mushroomed over?

3. Don't believe so andy. Can't check atm as work. Any ideas?

4. Maybe try lowering to the height it would normally be when on the wheels?

Has it cleared the hole on the opposite side?

Does it spin round in the hole?

5. Yeah that was the next thought. Can spin with a windy gun or if you tap it back in a tad by hand. Like 9/10's all the way out looking at it. If all else fails I will have to cut in half as it is out the bike then tap it back into the broken engine. Just figured I could of gotten it out / saves it as opposed to having to fork out for more components.

Cheers

6. My guess is that you have flared the end. How did you knock it through?

7. Oh, and welcome as well :upyeah:

8. I just removed my swingarm and had the same issue. For me it was caused by the swingarm getting cockeyed once the bolt cleared the right side of the frame. I put a car jack under the right side of the swingarm and raised it just enough the level it. The bolt came out easily after that.

9. I fear your 'whacking' may have flared the threaded end of the pivot bolt over, making it too large to fit through the frame. :( The more you 'whack' it, the worse it will become. Your only option could be to cut the bolt and tap it through towards the threaded end. Obviously necessitating the need to buy a new pivot bolt.

Mine came out with a few taps recently. Here

10. in and out and lube it either side of the frame bit....if you is whacked it the end has flared as above.

11. Thanks for input all. Soft ally tools as recommended and a mallet. Lots of lube etc so don't believe I've gone o.t.t and mushroomes it but I suppose its not out the question. Might just have to cut it and tap it back in and buy a new bolt for the new engine. Also thanks jack.

Cheers all.

12. Check if it has mushroomed over by seeing if it will go back into the other side

13. I know it can be hammered right back into the engine housing to where the nut attaches, it moves freely with light taps all the way up to the end

14. The grease on my bolt was non existent and everything was dry. I didn't have to use a lot of force but it took some decent taps. With that said, it's a big stainless bolt so doubt the ends would flare enough for it to stop it pulling through. Sounds stupid and obvious but there's a couple of things I found when taking mine out.

As @tboooe has said, once the bolt is almost out, the right side of the engine and frame are no longer secure/level. Check through the nut side of the frame and see if everything lines up OK as even the slightest offset can cause some resistance.

Also, you need to get deep in there. Make sure you're actually hitting the bolt. Couple of times I ended up tapping the frame not realising. If this is the case you will probably feel some vibration through the mallet and a solid noise like when a bearing has been properly seated.

This was my experience so apologies if I'm "teaching" you to suck eggs.

#14 Wardybud, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020

15. Appreciate the feedback mate. Yes believe it is slightly out of alignment hence keep adjusting. Will have another pop this week if not will cut.

Cheers guys

Do Not Sell My Personal Information