1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r And Bayliss Owners Advice Needed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by ducatidude1098r, Oct 22, 2015.

1. I couldn't justify £12k to swap either. I paid around that for mine 3 years ago with all the extras it has, without handing over a 1098S o_O

The 1098R is an incredible bike, and a different animal in the engine dept to the S but they have hit the point where I'd now buy something else rather than pay the prices being asked for lightly use examples. Or wait for a sensibly priced one, go abroad or reconsider your opinion of a track used bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. @BIG M, @Robarano - I think you both make good points. I'm pretty sure my riding "skills" aren't up to making the best of a 1098R, and £12k plus my 1198S is a not insignificant sum of money. I really am coming to the conclusion that - for me - it doesn't make sense.

Accepting the the R is a big step up from the 1098S, how does it compare with an 1198? I think the numbers are 1098S 160bhp, 1198S 170bhp, 1098R 180bhp? Maybe it would be more fun to try 205bhp with all the electronic tricks (1299S).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. My 1198 is enough for me, I'd love to ride a 1098r on track though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. My 1098R has 192bhp at the back wheel. :) It feels quick enough. :laughing:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Oh, and budget a few quid for the obligatory alloy fuel tank conversion. :innocent:

Shameless thread resurrection and show off link :blush:

• Like Like x 2
  6. The R with Termis & ECU is apparently 186Bhp, but its the torque value that is the kicker... It has about a gazillion ft lbs of torque, and is very light, its a monster ride!! A Panigale feels very civilised compared to the R, although you'd probably be quicker on a 1299 as they are a fair bit easier to ride! If an R is what you've set your heart on, I can guarantee it will not disappoint.. As the guys have said, be patient and wait for a reasonable private sale dude!

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Exactly what are the differences between an R and a 1098S that make a difference?? Obviously the engine, rear damper, carbon seat unit...What else???
    Can't argue with the Kudos factor, it's an iconic bike, however after spending some cash on a 1098/1198 i.e rear TTX damper, revalving forks, setup of suspension you will have a very fine motorcycle!!

8. “Obviously the engine” is a bit of an understatement. Titanium con rods and CrN coated larger titanium valves, Ducati GP6 derived pistons and elliptical throttle bodies with 4 injectors (pairing 4 hole and 12 hole injectors for each cylinder, sand cast cases, a “half” race system with dedicated ecu and the first production bike to have (for that time, race derived) traction cntrol and data acquisition. The bike’s dry weight was claimed to be 165kg (mine has a kerb weight of 183kg). Machined cast Aluminium alloy Marchesini wheels that even by today’s standards are incredibly light. It was also the first time Ducati used the Brembo M4 caliper on a road bike. The Mag alloy front subframe gets lost in the noise. There was so much about the 1098R that made it absolutely special in 2008 and pretty much still today. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Clearly the engine is what makes this bike so special.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I have a nicely specced 1098S, had an 1198 nearly new with race ECU and exhausts and rode Spareparts' (on here) very well prepped and sorted 1098R with 190-odd rwBHP. The 1098R feels like a very well sorted 1098S on steroids. The 1198 was the monster wheelieing off 4k rpm in 2nd and 3rd, with the mental torque and a very different character. In my view - the 1098R feels the most special. The 1098S is the most usable and flowing on the road and with the red frame, pretty looks like a 1098R. With a 14T front sprocket, plenty of go and wheelies too. The 1198 is the animal with the monster torque and animal engine - almost too much in the bottom end and mid range, albeit with less at the top than the 1098R when you wring its neck.

I'd love a 1098R, but I think the value is in the 1198SP at the moment, which will give you 1098R thrills, a more visceral but probably slower point to point pace and a nice alloy tank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Time for a bit of an autumn spring clean? Pretty certain this list needs amending now: –
    Robarano
    RickyX
    ducatidude1098r
    yev
    Spareparts
    SP4S
    samieb
    densel
    Android853
    james thomas
    Ducatisti1098
    baylissboy
    obscene
    bigfoot
    mrholmes999
    Balmy
    Chris
    Whele
    fiyer47
    darko
    Braz
    990Glen
    frazzle
    Paul 68
    Exige (3)
    Mr Tea
    Sonic
    harryscfc
    kartman
    @Julian Hobbins
    Thirty owners as of 27/11/2020 - did I miss anyone - no longer an owner etc?

#791 Chris, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  12. Y

You can remove me (sadly ).

13. If you have sold or bought a 1098R and you want to help keep the list accurate then just quote above list and delete or add details as necessary and I will work out, no explanation needed.

Cheers
    Chris

14. Thanks Esbee, (sorry to hear)

15. :motorcycleduc::motorcycleduc::motorcycleduc:.............:eyes:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  16. Is that cryptic for “I’ve got three 1098R? “

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yes :worried: but I updated it as instructed on the quote too :innocent:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. I’m still there. Probably until next spring as I’ll be selling the 1098R when I get round to it...

19. I wish you luck, the market price and interest does seem to have dropped a little from 3 years ago. I met a (non Forum) owner over the weekend who recently got a very low mileage TB example for 6k off the sub-30 asking price.

20. Guys - Am REALLY struggling with Insurance costs now that I've traded in my RSV4 for a New R1... I can't get an insurance quote for less than £1300 (MCE, Carole Nash, Bennetts and still waiting for one from Ducati) for the 1098R and the R1 (Fully Comp, 40 years Old, 10 Years NCD, No Accidents, Clean Licence and Garaged with locks..) Am presuming most if not all of you guys have other bikes aside from the R?? How do you insure yours?? What do you state as value?? I've put 19K for the R.... is it risky leaving it at market value (i.e book price.....??) Thoughts? Don't really want to sell mine but for what is a second bike spending 1k a year to keep it insured and serviced is a fair whack! @Exige how the hell do you afford to insure all yours!!!???

Do Not Sell My Personal Information