1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1098r V 1198s For A Fast Road Bike.

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by pauly, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Knowing diddly squat never stopped you commenting..

2. why just those bits?
    It’s the difference between throwing something together and building it properly..,some bits will be serviceable ie checked within age and tolerance, some bits are changed regardless

surely you need to know the full story about who did what ... or if you know diddly squat then either accept it or get someone that you trust who knows what’s what to give you a yes or know. In this case the provenance and reputation of who they are saying “built” the engine not just threw it together should be enough ..

3. *yawn*

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. We're heading into uncharted territory for relatively 'ordinary' investment cars and bikes. Top end exotics aside, I reckon a lot of stuff will hang around months and months at todays prices. Maybe £15-16k will be enough for a top 1098R from a motivated seller then...

5. @youcantpolishat*rd, your nuke of my post is for why ? Andy

6. I think just the kudos of owning a 1098r is enough (no dissing the seller here!). If i owned one it'd get used alright. Some would call a 1098r too much for the road....personally id call it "more involving", which is, essentially what you want...if im mistaken. But then thats me....Mr Leftfield....RSV4 factory (pre aprc) i think Al Fagan reviewed it with the heading "only men need apply"....and an 1100evo sp hyper which is so far customized its untrue and my z1000 which everyone pretty well hates... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maybe it wont. Who knows.

But one thing is for certain. The 1098R engine is going to be in Ducati's hall of fame. Possibly the best V twin ever made. That's a cert. I'm sure I'll regret selling mine but you can't have everything, I'm happy enough with my current toys. I'd guess a 1098R is a safe a place to stick your money.... Everyone want's everything for fuck all so they can feel all smug about 'bargain of the century'. But there's also 'if you snooze, you lose'

Now stop fannying about and close the deal ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bit rose tinted glasses mate.....its not better than the last panigale R twins... bigger better gearbox, better crankcases, more power and so on!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I guess its what floats your boat. I've got both, and finances are getting hard. Pani R is closest to the door when needs must.
    I don't plan to ever sell the 1098R. It scares me.

• Like Like x 4
  10. All this talk about scary and mental, how do they compare to a BMW S1000RR, mine never scared me. I'm talking about handling, speed and brakes. Obviously the 1098R looks and sounds better.

11. I'm in the middle of moving house, and DV isn't back for 3 months anyway. Plus I want to make sure he isn't big or punchy before I bid him in the nuts :).

12. S1000RR etc couldnt tell you how it compares. I haven't ridden an inline 4 since 2004.
    Compared to the Pani R, it just feels angry, where the pani comes across as more sanitised.
    The panigale range are probably better for 95% of riders and will give them what they are looking for.
    The lack of all of todays electronics with the the stonking motor means you have to concentrate, and this just makes the whole
    riding experience MORE, regardless of outright performance numbers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Different animals. Have you owned a 1098R? I've got a V4S now and there's no denying the superior power, but the 1098R definitely won in snarl stakes. And an enviable race pedigree. Unlike the fannygale V twins which were a flop. As I said, Hall of Fame beckons for the 1098R. And I no longer own one btw....

14. Ride one, then get back to me. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. He is. He's a heavyweight cage fighter with tats on his face. He oozes 'watch it muthafukka' :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. IL4's feel like turbines. Super smooth and a bit boring. I too haven't owned one since 2002. Don't think I'll own one again.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information