1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 1299 Or 959 Corse

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Dave Coleman, Sep 2, 2018.

1. From memory I think the standard cans weighed 9kg. The AR can is 0.6kg. It’s basically an empty bean tin.

But my memory is shit and I’ve slept since then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I’m sure mine were about 3.5kg or something. The underbelly section was about 6kg or something.

3. I’ll take your word for it then. They may have meant the whole thing when they told me.

The AR can is definitely 0.6kg cos I weighed that myself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I also fitted the 1199 Ali tank when I did the conversion the 899/959 tank will fit with a homemade bracket, @Nelson fitted a race subframe to his 899 and was happy with the conversion, I will be adding one to my 899 track bike as soon as funds allow.

5. There are some interesting weight saving figures floating around! I weighed everything that came off mine and got the following:

Under belly section (both)= 5.9kg
    Twin tail pipes (Euro4)= 3.8kg
    Rear foot pegs (Euro4)= 0.9kg
    Valve servo motor (Euro4) = 0.6kg

So to run completely exhast-less you could only save 10kg. Just changing the tailpipes and dumping the pegs it isn’t possible to save more than 4.6kg (minus whatever the replacement pipe weighs).

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/euro-4-exhaust-swap.43125/page-4#post-793547

6. Mines going on a massive diet over winter... already removed all the unnecessary rubbish. Looking at carbon Full6 rear subframe and rearend soon so should hopefully remove another 7/8kgs.. its hard coming from such a lightweight blade (176kgs) wet too the 959 at the standard weight... power to weight as well as good suspension set-up is the most important thing to get this bike rocking like it should do .... anyone know how much weight saving from OE pipes to Akros. Mine were already fitted so didn't get a chance stick them on the scales!

7. 20180901_140502.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ok. Thanks for input guys. Bit the bullet yesterday and purchased a very low mile 1299s. What a bike.
    Hope we have a dry winter

• Like Like x 4
  9. Thread gone a bit off track with regard to ditching weight. But for info:
    I've got an ex tri-options cup 959 in race trim. Regs state that bike must weigh 175kg [wet] which would suggest that it's not too hard to get it below that [?]

I've since ditched just over 6kg off it:
    Lithium battery [saved 1.9kg ]
    Motoholders ally rear subframe [saved 2.1kg ]
    Exhaust heat shield [saved 1.1kg ] (ally subframe does not have forward lug for cover so getting exhaust ceramic coated)
    Clutch noise dampening [saved 0.4kg]
    Fan [Saved 0.75 kg]

Just got to ditch the same weight off myself now :)

Bob

10. I would put the fan back on, most if not all the bikes are running the fans on there bikes connected to a switch, not thermostat, when a Panigale is running hot it saps power, so they run the fan to help this problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yep, I have had similar advice.
    I think that fan is set to come on at about 102/103 ??
    I thought that many had set the fan to come on via a switch to remove heat to the legs; not because of power. Surely if power could be made by a lower fan temp then it wouldn't be set to come on so high?
    If I get time I'll pop it back on before I go to Jerez next month; not worth the risk of damage I suppose. A friend had already suggested such, and he races them...
    Many thanks,
    Bob

• Like Like x 1
  12. I think (I was told by a race tech ) at the start of the season the guys who were winning races were using the fans and it made about 6bhp difference , there were whispers of foul play as it really made that much difference towards the end of the race, I am sure us mortals could not tell the difference but after my engine refresh I was advised to put the fan back on.

#53 simmytt, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Getting off topic a little, but something I’ve been looking into. Noticed a JHP prepped bike on eBay this week with a fan switch on the handle bar, but had always been told the fan didn’t fit with the oil catch belly pan. I guess the fan may be able to stay and just remove the cowl that goes down through the belly?

14. Think about air cooled. Hotter they get, less power they have. Plus the panigale seems to run hot. Wonder if this goes some way to explain the number of blow ups the 959 race boys have?

15. Yes, but most water cooled bikes shouldn’t need a fan if they are moving (above 30mph was the magic figure on my 848). When you think of the air being blown though the radiators anyway at 100mph, I’d be surprised if a fan could add a lot to it. However, I have heard the fan rumour before (although the version I heard was more to do with what are they doing to make their motors so hot they need extra cooling...).

16. Yes just unbolt the extra plastic and fit the fan and cowel only, I wired mine directly to the battery with a switch on the bars, inline fuse also. This fan fitting would seem more common on the 959 than the 899

• Like Like x 1
  17. Which is my point. I simply used air cooled as an example how a hot motor loses power

18. Pub and paddock talk is that quite a lot of 959’s have gone pop, a larger proportion than 899.

19. Totally agree, after the teething problems of the 899 being sorted with a swift rule change to allow updated conrods the 899 seemed to be a well sorted bike, the 959 seems to have a fair few horror stories, not sure why that is the case but engine and gearbox problems seem a little to common and bloody expensive repair bills.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information