1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 24v Starter System

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Boukekoppejan, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Hi All,

Despite all changes on my bike to have a better start of the engine, it is still not very good. i know i have changed the engine with 154nm and 198hp on the wheel and still starting with the oem start motor, but the orginial 1198R has the same start motor so....

I have tried al kind of things:
    - lithium battery
    - thicker starter cables
    - New start relay
    - new start clutch

So i'am looking for other solutions, and i think i have one. I have read that you can change the voltage of the starter system to 24v with two batteries. as the picture:

IMG_7721.JPG

i think it would be a great solution but i think if i do it like this all the electric would be gone. But i don't know the solution.

Does somebody have experiance with this?

Thanks!

2. Are your cables home made or the proper ExactStart cable kit?
    If not, I suggest you try one of those first.

3. Limited space for a second battery and the starter would have to be re-wound for 24 volts.

4. yes these are from exactstart

5. Does the motor crank reasonably quickly?

6. ehm i don’t know if I understand you correctly,

7. How fast does it spin before firing, my 1098R spins quickly after fitting the cables - I don't think you need a 24 volt system.
    Have you tried a Yuasa YTX14 High Output battery I think the code is - the 14 designation was fitted as standard to 1198S / Corse and 2009 onwards 1098/1198R's but they now do an increased cranking amp version also.
    If not I think your issue lies elsewhere - fuel / fueling perhaps.

8. I can see your thinking on this but it is likely that you will quite quickly burn out the starter motor. You seem to have tried most things but have you considered that the problem could be in the starter motor itself, they are usually pretty reliable but it may still be worth having the internals - brushes, commutator and windings checked out or get a known good motor and swap it over.

9. Thank you! yes sometimes it runes fast but most of the time it runs slowly. I shall check the battery tomorrow, it was more than standard and lithium. I always have to start with a litle throtlle

10. thank you! the start motor was serviced in april this year and only got new brushes, the people at the garage told me that the starter motor was ok after the new brushes................ are there stronger starter motors?

11. Not aware of any other motors, the standard motor works fine if everything is in good order.
    The only real solution to your problem is to check through everything one at a time and don't take it for granted that just because an item is new it is working ok. Could be a long boring job but sometimes it's the only way.:(

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I have got the shido LT12B-BS battery with a cca of 290?

13. As I can see it is not a very powerful one

14. Can you put up a video of how your bike starts?
    I've currently stripped my 1098R upto the starter clutch which I've documented in another thread. I noticed you've changed your starter clutch. Did you also change the 2 interfacing parts? The flange and the gear? As mine were quite heavily worn.

15. Yes I will do that! Yes it is completly changed

16. Can you just change the battery with a higher cca and amps? The current battery has a cca of 290 with 4,8ah and this one on the picture has a cca of 390 with 7ah so a lot more

B3662124-E824-4F2E-A1A4-C7D6A741F702.png

Do Not Sell My Personal Information