1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 24v Starter System

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Boukekoppejan, Oct 31, 2019.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1

2. Late as ever - found it already (that picture of you is well old) :eek:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. Original fitment can set alight on older bikes when a Lithium battery is fitted - and the 1098 / 1198 is the worst due to the combination of the location and weakness of the original. A UK manufacturer of Reg/Recs still says 'do not fit' even with his improved Reg/Recs. An American firm have developed a supposed 'lithium proof' Reg/Rec.
    There are many threads discussing this on here. Some will say they are fine, but the risk is real and unnecessary.
    You defiantly have an underlying issue but I'm unsure what...

4. So the combination of lithium battery with the oem regulator could be a big issue? I have the combination for a half year now and no big issues because I had the same “problem” with the normal battery. I had the hope that the problem was solved with the bigger cables but unfortunately it didn’t. So I have to look further.

could it be the oem regulator? Will it solve the problem with a upgraded regulator? It is hard to say, I still think it is the start motor, it is almost 12 years old and went from to start a 123 hp bike to a 198 hp bike. Are there upgraded start motors on the market? I think not.

5. So I think I can upgrade anything but if the start motor is bad than nothing will work haha

but I will post as soon as possible a movie to show how the bike will start maybe for the experts it will be clear what the problem is haha

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Yes, people never have an issue until their bike catches fire, what is certain is you increase the risk. So much so that a manufacturer warns against it, as Ducati did when asked from a previous thread.
    There is a lot of discussion on the forum about it if you search.
    If something is amiss having changed the cables and improved the battery cranking power and doing the starter then an even bigger battery will not help :confused:
    Did you do a video yet as someone suggested?

• Like Like x 2
  7. how do you post a movie?

I hope this will work

9. are you getting a constant voltage to the starter when it cranks like this?

10. i really really don’t know

11. Does it ever crank any faster than that as it seems a bit slow?

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information