1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748/999 Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Russ21, Oct 20, 2019.

1. its ongoing, it was just supposed to be a change of fuel pump relay, but then i bought a bike lif,t and all the grubby parts are now nearer eye level, so I have taken the back end apart to replate all the fittings. But then I decided the swingarm had lumps out of it, so I have bought another one of those.
    I have bought a new shock which is going off to Maxton to be re-valved and resprung, then it will be the front ends turn, with a nother trip to the platers.

The trouble is the engine pain is really flaky, so should I drop the engine and then paint, can it be done assembled?

• Like Like x 1

2. Sounds like a decent project. Love the pictures. It always seems to start quite small, then snowballs in to a full on rebuild lol.

100% remove the engine to paint. It’s not really that much of an issue to drop out. You can buy a good quality engine stand for about £100. Has the motor gone flakey on the back of the block? Or all over?

#42 Russell, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  3. It is flaky all over, if i drop the engine, I may as well get the frame done and tail frame done. If Im taking the wiring loom off, I may as well give that the once over as well.
    Best way to clean the engine, without dissasembly, and best place for paint ?

4. Should be easy enough once you get the final big end bearing bolt off :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Another job off the list. Repainted with a pretty close match to the original paint from Bike Colours. Next job is start electroplating all the bolts ready for swingarm reassembly

E16207E4-26BA-48F7-8262-0AAB0CADA2DC.jpeg

1D70EFF2-2874-49F2-807B-F6191C95A341.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  6. Lovely Russell

• Like Like x 1
  7. Looks ace Sir :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Managed to find an almost perfect match for the engine block too. Removed all the scabby paint at the back of the block then prepped and painted.

Luckily the rest of the engine is in pretty good shape.

072ECD94-9D67-47F1-90FE-05B61DD8CF4F.jpeg

#48 Russell, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Took a trip to Greenwich this morning to pick some wheels up. Bought from a fellow forum member. Whilst I was there I picked up a set of Showa forks. My original set were a little worse for wear, so I’m hoping to make one nice set of forks from a couple of set. May involve repainting fork bottoms, if I can find the correct bronze. If not, I may paint the bottoms the same colour as the swingarm...

Also picked up some new manifold nuts and gaskets from my local dealer.

7B07B618-4E2E-4197-83B8-653390D0105B.jpeg 5117DF3A-8FF4-459C-A84E-C8EFA9C96EE9.jpeg

STILL waiting on the frame to come back. Starting to hold things up a little, so hopefully I’ll have it back this coming week.

thanks again for all the messages and replies :):upyeah:

#49 Russell, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  10. What colour are you going to have for the wheels?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thinking satin or gloss black. Most probably satin :upyeah:

12. ^ on trend in satin. V nice.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I think it’ll look pretty smart. Although I’m toying with gold. Not sure how the gold wheels will look with the red frame :thinkingface:

• WTF WTF x 1
  14. NO GOLD!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Satin black it is :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  16. :scream::sob:

:party::sun::innocent:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Had a good look around the rear axel assembly today. Not only is there 2/3 pretty sensible cracks in the rear disc, but two of the rear wheel location pins had sheered off at some point!!

new pins and bolts on order...
    E90EC6B9-CC9E-4F42-B510-76CEE3163DE9.jpeg C127ACF3-2DED-4BD4-A957-690BA3D6B780.jpeg

Also received new chain guide for the rear swingarm.

6DE00687-3AB1-4801-B543-AFAF134D93CA.jpeg

#58 Russell, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • WTF WTF x 1
  18. well thats a crap find! bit like what I've gone through with my bike.

Im not a fan of black wheels on bikes or cars personally, gold or grey for me unless you're going for the matt grey fairings in which case stay red

• Like Like x 1
  19. black wheels modernise bikes. its the only timeless colour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information