1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 998s Japan Import

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by andy j, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Thanks!

2. So i decided to take the clutch cover of and have a look at the clutch. With not being able to take to the previous owner don't know if it had ever been changed or uprated at some point:
    [​IMG]

So it seems to have a standard clutch in it thats well worn:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was looking at replacing it with a STM slipper clutch. This is the one i'm looking at:
    https://www.omniaracing.net/en/dry-...iginal-with-discs-for-ducati-998-p-27748.html

The other thing i have been thinking about is the exhaust thats on the bike:
    [​IMG]

I fancy changing for something that makes a bit nicer sound. Am i right in thinking that these bikes have a larger 50mm exhaust on them? If i change the exhaust would i need to make changes to the fueling on the bike?

The last thing is can anyone think of any preventative maintenance to do on the bike. Fastline Superbikes done the belts, valve clearances, all fluids changed, new battery and a check on bolt torques. Is there anything else i should have a look at or should i just ride it and deal with issues as they come?

3. Good call with the stm slipper. Quality kit!
    The 998S had the 50mm system on it. Try to get a 54mm system as they reckon this is the optimum size for road use. It’ll need remapping though to get the most out of it.
    Sounds like all the main stuff’s been done. Just the normal stuff like checking the R/R plug for burn damage, rear sprocket crush drives...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Thanks, I will have a look for a 54mm system. I take it if I were just to change the cans and keep it 50mm it would run ok?
    Will have a look at the cush drive and RR.

5. Yeah, tyres are a must. The back is squared off and old! I was thinking of trying a set of the bridgestone S22's.

6. Great choice. I put a pair on my 748r when I bought it in the summer. The old tyres were date stamped 2011 from memory.
    Get a good trickle charger too.

7. The back tyre is 2011 on the bike the front is a bit newer. I was going to go with super Corsas but read some good things on the S22's.

8. ^ Thanks Andy, appreciated. Your bike is a cracker and your thread is excellent. Really love these seeing how the bikes are brought back up to standard.

9. Cheers, I think I'll get the bolts replated like you did. Makes a big difference to the look of the bike. What profile tyre did you go with on the back @Expat Jack?

10. Keep the 50mm system for road use. You'll only get an increase with the 54mm system if you have some headwork done then a re map. if you just fit the 54 system you will loose some low down response.

11. 180 55's

12. Thanks

13. And suspension, Andy. Get that sorted first as it’ll transform the bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ok, I'm not really looking to up the power of the bike just yet. I know from experience that that's a slipper slope. I just want a nicer sound out of the bike. So maybe some 50mm cans will do for now.

15. 54mm system with the remap will give you a big gain. Or even the half system. This was a common mod.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I had this in mind for over winter before I rode it. Once i had the bike it actually rode really nice but I think a previous owner has had the forks apart before I had it.

17. I dread to say it but.....

swingarm pivot bolt:confused:

Get it out over the winter, cleaned, greased and put back, then make sure you do it annually. Start now by putting penetrating oil into the gaps in the engine casing along its length.

Smashing looking bike:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information