1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 998s Japan Import

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by andy j, Sep 26, 2019.

1. ^ front sprocket.:bomb:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mentioning the swingarm pivot bolt was bad enough, I really didn’t want to mention the sprocket as well:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Good news is the swing arm pivot bolt was removed and greased as part of the service that was carried out.
    I have noticed the bike is geared high. I have a spare 14 tooth sprocket front the track bike I could use.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Great:upyeah:

I’m sure your sprocket will come off easier than mine :confused:

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/seized-front-sprocket.71982/

• Love You Love You x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bit of an update on the bike. I have sorted some of the issues i found on the bike. First was the Leaking coolant tank. I had been thinking about going for a carbon coolant tank but decided to give a standard one a chance first:
    [​IMG]

stripped the bike down to fit it:
    [​IMG]

If this one bursts i will go for an aftermarket one. While i was in there i decided to give everything a clean and a coating of ACF50:
    [​IMG]

Next job was the chain guides. The upper one was in bad condition:
    [​IMG]

But the bottom one was almost non existent:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While the guides were removed i wanted to clean as much of the old hardened chain lube of the chain and swing arm as i could. I also gave the rest of the bike a clean so i could get some ACF50 on it.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New and old chain guides and them fitted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had a go at fitting the 14 tooth front sprocket. It wasn't until i had both sprockets remover that i noticed that the track bike has a 520 and the 998 has a 525. So i will either order a 14 tooth front sprocket or maybe go up to a 38 tooth on the back and get a longer chain.
    I was going to a charity bike run at the weekend and decided to take the 998 instead of my 1200 monster.
    [​IMG]
    I did just over 128 kms on the bike in the day and it didn't end up to dirty by the time i got home:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bike ran well all day. The only issue i have noticed is say you are doing 40/50 mph in 3rd or 4th and roll the throttle on. The bike accelerates but is flat up into higher revs. If are setting off and give it some throttle it pulls strong through the gears up to high revs in every gear. Cruising along is fine and setting of is fine. It just seems to be when you roll on the throttle when your already at speed that it has this issue. Anybody any ideas what to look at or anything that might be causing it?

#106 andy j, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Bike is looking good. Not sure what your roll on issue is TBH.

7. Thanks! Yeah, it's a strange on but I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it!

8. If there anything like the 996 they were renound for having a flat spot though the rev range. A good remap used to cure it.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Any recommendations on who to get to map it?

10. I do but there bloody miles away from you bud. Unless you wana spend a weekend in Bristol.

11. I travel down to Falfeild near Bristol for training now and again. I know it's not close bit it wouldn't be an issue. Who's the company?

12. Cjs racing , he works in louigi motos building. Louigi can do a pre dyno set up then Chris will map it after. It will be like a different bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thanks, will have a look into that!

14. Well done, Andy. By the looks of things you have a very tidy example. The area around and underneath your throttles is a lot cleaner then what mine was when I bought it.
    Go for a 15/38 sprocket set with a 2 link longer chain. Q/R sprocket carrier then you can eliminate the Cush drive problem. Might be an idea also to remove the ride height rod and try to free the ends for future adjustment and try to pop the swing arm spindle to see if it’ll move before you leave it any longer...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Thankfully the garage I bought it off done the swing arm spindle as part of the service. I need to make a stand up then I can check the height adjustment rod.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I used HM Racing and have nothing but praise for what they did to mine. I fitted a PCIII, carbon air tubes, with the runners removed, and undertank JHP filter.
    The re map totally transformed the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  17. And another thing if you are thinking of adding anything like air filters ect do it before it's mapped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Are the JHP filters the one that fit over the trumpets or the ones on the side of the air box? Any ideas where I could buy the filters from?

19. I will get everything i need together over the next few months. I need to see if I can find a set of rear cans to.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information