1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Another Chain Thread.....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by BabyD, Mar 29, 2021.

1. If you keep your chain clean it will last a long time. I have 7500 miles (12k kms) and have yet to adjust it. It's still tight.

2. see #14, 15
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/the-first-maintenance-free-motorcycle-chain.85462/

3. I cant find the torque setting for the hub bolts after adjustment in the owners book.

Anyone know ?

4. Found 35nM mentioned in an earlier post.

5. So I did my first chain adjustment yesterday. Followed the advice here plus the owners book (which isn't that detailed or user friendly) and go the job done.
    My only confusion was the exact positioning of the supplied steel gauge. According to the book, the curved notch on the metal should go where the centre screw of the plastic chain guide screws in, is that correct ?
    I've seen pictures where people have them slide further along towards the rear sprocket, and that would make a difference in your reading.

6. Yes that is correct :)

7. Well done. This nonsense about having dealer do your chain adjustments is just ducati covering themselves. You'll be doing your valve clearances nxt. Mark my words

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Time, for some new chain sprockets…. Going for some bling on the chain but need some sprockets to match, anodised anyone??

9. Having recently purchased my 1260S, the chain is looking a bit crap, and having been out a couple of times, is definitely suffering from some rust. I was going to look at trying to give proper spruce up but saw the threads about how easily the OEM chains rust.

As it's booked in for a service and first MOT at the end of the month and looking to get them to fit a new chain. Is there much point in changing the sprockets as well? The bike is on 5.5k mileage.

10. No mate. Save your pennies. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Fitted the same to mine, except I paid quite a bit less than £146... Bought off of eBay here, was £99 something in September.

And yes, will fit your 1260 with standard sprockets.

• Like Like x 1
  12. At only 5500 miles I'd give it a good clean, the rust will come off, and keep it coated in lube/oil so it doesn't rust again.
    You should have 5-10k miles life left in that chain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tried a little in getting the rust off but decided I needed the bling so got it fitted at the service last week.

Thanks for the link, paid £109 so much better.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. A bit of GT85 would bring that sprocket up a treat.

• Like Like x 1
  15. How the hell do you get the healthy chain that clean

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. First, you can't wait for it to get rusty.
    The rest is easy: take a moment to clean and lube the chain after each ride day before going to bed.
    It only takes a few minutes to keep it clean. This is much easier and quicker than a deep clean.
    Also a good time to wipe the bugs off and remove some road grime.
    You don't need kerosene or what you guys call paraffin either.
    Use just a mild de-greaser which you can use on the rest of your undercarriage.
    Make it a daily part of your lifestyle. That's the secret.

17. Quote: Use just a mild de-greaser which you can use on the rest of your undercarriage.

I tried that but it gave me a nasty rash…

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. ^wire brush and dettol for you!

19. Yeah, de-greaser on your undercarriage would sting surely!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information