1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody Else Or Is It Just Me !

Discussion in 'Monster' started by MATT46, Oct 10, 2018.

1. It's true.
    They all do that, sir.
    Problem is, the slow turnover problem only gets worse as the bike gets older.
    Which is exactly why @Exige ExactStart cable kits are so extremely popular.
    They reduce the excessive resistance in the starting circuit, not only allowing the battery to spin the starter motor at a decent rate but also leaving enough excess current to power the ignition circuit as well.
    This was a real problem on my SS, which often used to only 'catch' when you took your thumb off the button.
    Reluctant starting puts the sprag clutch at extreme risk too, so not only do @Exige ExactStart cable kits give excellent value, they will give you peace of mind, save you embarrassment andl even save you money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mine is the early model, 2009. And it always take a long time to start. Usually I turn the key on twice before starting, but when it’s cold sometimes it doesn’t work the first time.

And a question: pushing the clutch is useful for an easier start?

3. You need a cable kit then - my 2003 999 now starts beautifully.
    Yes, pulling in the clutch means the starter motor doesn't have to turn the gearbox in cold oil but it shouldn't be necessary.

4. I haven't found starting an issue on any of my bikes and they are all old! Is this a particular model thing?

I fitted the ExactStart cable to my ST3 a couple of months ago as I read a lot of recommendations. They made no discernible difference on my 10 year old bike. Mind you, it was starting fine before.

Maybe I am just lucky.

5. Maybe I'm just unlucky but my SS was always a bastard to start and I always had the feeling it was going to leave me stranded somewhere.
    When I replaced it with a 999, I really thought such problems would be a thing of the past but no such luck.
    It wasn't quite as bad as the SS but it was still a real problem.
    A cable kit cured all that though and the bike now starts beautifully.
    Just wish the notorious 999 battery box hadn't made it quite such a frustrating job though...

6. A properly set up bike will start very quickly but many bikes seem to have problems starting because the air fuel ratio is incorrect. This can be because the throttle bodies aren't set up correctly with TPS, air bleeds and or throttle body balance not quite at optimum - and many of them come from the factory like this! This poor starting then drains the battery and the bike won't start at all. A sluggish turnover is bad for the sprag clutch because the engine can hit a compression and kick back against the sprag. I haven't found starting an issue on any of my bikes either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. With both the SS and 999 as OEM, the turnover was extremely slow and laboured.
    The SS often only caught as I took my thumb off the button, as though all the battery's energy was being used to turn the engine and not enough was left over to fire it. A new battery helped but only a little.
    When I got it, the 999 turned over very nearly as slowly and starting the bike would often cause the dash clock to lose its time.
    Installing a cable kit has completely cured all that.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. I don't doubt that the cable kit improved the cranking speed and starting, the OEM cables on many Ducatis are pretty marginal but generally a bike that is well set up will start much easier than one which has an incorrect fuel/air ratio for a cold start.
    My 907ie was much the same as your SS in starting, it never failed to start but was very slow to crank. It had reasonably heavy cables to the solenoid/starter and earth and I made sure all the connections were good to no avail. I fitted new brushes to the starter still with no improvement. This year I fitted a new starter motor. It now cranks over quicker than most other Ducatis and starts practically instantly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Interesting.

When you replaced the brushes, did you also lean up the commutator??

I understand that this can make a big difference.

10. Yes, cleaned the commutator and also cleaned out the slots between each segment. I measured the resistance between each and every segment too expecting to find an open circuit winding but they all read the same, as near as I could measure (very low Ωs). A few months after replacing the brushes I experienced a stuck brush. So I pulled it apart again and freed off the brush making sure they both were sliding freely in their holders. Then last autumn it stuck again :mad:Blaming the replacement brushes I re-installed the original ones (there was nothing wrong with them and still had loads of life left). Then this spring it happened again. I was getting pissed off with having to pull the starter off every few months so splashed out and bought a new motor. What a difference. The engine has never turned over so fast in the seven years that I've owned the bike :)
    I pulled the old motor apart to see what was going on and the earth side brush was practically welded into the brush holder. I can only assume that for some reason, faulty insulation of the windings maybe, the motor has been drawing too much current leading to the brushes welding themselves to the brush holders.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Wow, same motor as oem - or not... ??

12. Sold by Electrex but otherwise identical.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. You have a remarkable starting bike for sure, but not many buy with no issues of course :) most are quite ecstatic about the difference as can be seen all over the tinternet - including on nearly new bikes like the one on the link that i posted last week :)

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/battery-cables.65645/

14. Agree totally with Derek on this, never had or worked on a Ducati that did not start well once the TPS, balance and mixture were correct and of course good battery and earth connections!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maybe that I'm just lucky!

I wasn't having a go at the product at all (although after posting, I thought that it might come across that way!).

The slow/difficult starting of Ducatis is never something that I have experienced - though not starting at all and breaking down is more familiar to me! It is only since coming on to this forum have I noticed posts about it.

I fitted the leads because I was off to France and had no breakdown cover - old bike etc - well not that old but the system seems very skewed to vehicles that are unlikely to break down. Recently fitted a new battery as the old one failed and I just wanted the max possible starting power.

I don't regret the purchase at all.

16. It didn't at all come across like you were having a go :):upyeah:

17. :joy: This is my approach to bike issues. Buy a proper naked with 1301cc and real performance :p

18. You got a Harley now ?

19. SuperDuke, it makes the Monster look like a Harley to be fair.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. I think the 1200R has a higher compression ratio than the earlier Monsters. Its not going to help starting.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information