1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything Nurburgring Related Thread

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by doogalman, Feb 25, 2018.

1. ...but the Daily Mail said that it was only Britain that had poor internet connectivity and that internet speeds would double or even treble when we leave the EU. Liars! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Many of the smaller villages here rely on a microwave based connection or sim-card based routers. Fibre optic BB is being rolled out as well but it ain't cheap so uptake so far has been low. Believe it or not some prople still use dial-up.

3. I use my mobile (ie sim card) 50% of the time as I move around quite a lot and as long as you have 3G reception (which is usually HSPA+ anywhere in Europe) then its ok for most things including movies if you have a reasonable signal. Luckily 4G rollout in Europe seems to be a lot better than in the UK so most out of the out of the way places use the sim card routers or just tether their mobile phones. If 4G or advanced 4G becomes available everywhere then there's not much need for all the hassle of rolling out fibre to every street. There's a fair chance that this is the approach that most governments and service providers will take going forward as it's the most practical.

Despite being in West London we only have 10Mb internet performance but it is plenty enough to watch HD movies with since the streaming protocols have really improved over the last few years. This is not much better than 3G HSPA+ sim performance.

For almost all uses you are actually limited by other factors such as the time it takes for the data to get to the other end and back. Having 100Mb internet is awesome but in reality what it actually gives you is just the ability to have multiple users watching different films at the same time. It doesn't give you better performance on your single computer. With a single computer in your house you are usually speaking to a server in the US or Europe and only able to use 5-15Mb bandwidth due to these other factors.

These are good estimations of the real world performance of mobile sim networks for comparison. In most cases you'll be using either 3G HSPA+ or 4G-LTE:

https://www.4g.co.uk/how-fast-is-4g/
    Real-World-4G-Network-Speeds-2-1024x549.png

4. Just remembered we already had a Nurburgring thread after posting a separate one.

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/nurburgring-in-the-porsche-gt3.61585/#post-1109156

Need to do a big hat tip to @doogalman for his amazing hospitality and excellent instruction. One of the best trips we have ever done so get in touch with the man if you are going out there.

I thought you guys might find this interesting. We did a trip out to the Nordschleife this week for a trackday and all managed some decent times. I was doing 8'09'' which is 35 seconds quicker than I've ever managed to do in a car before. It's genuinely down to learning the track on iracing simulator over the winter and @doogalman excellent instruction. The braking points and car drives just like in the game and the track detail is superb.

This lap is also 8'09'' but without traction control which felt much better in the car but unfortunately the angle of the camera is making the video saturated. It also has some coolant spills slides at the end after a BMW dropped its guts and blew its engine after going on for another flying lap.

Also my mates monster of a Nissan GTR doing 7'45'' !

5. Coolant slides on it's own:

6. Thanks David. Was a riot having you guys here. Tell Roy to sort that exhaust out and get him back. There's probably 20 sec to shave off with him.

#127 doogalman, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  7. His disorganisation makes me look good though Roy :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Even just an instructional lap, that looked to be an 8'08" btg. There after just practice practice practice, then the groundwork will pay off.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Did someone say they were also heading out to Germany / Nurburgring on the first May bank holiday?

I've got a ferry booked this coming Thursday night from Hull to Rotterdam and a eurotunnel home on Monday afternoon.

Problem is that unfortunately my trip buddy has had to pull out today bless him, his wife has been admitted to hospital for an operation tomorrow or Tuesday so there's no way in hell he can make the trip.

I'll try to call P&O Ferrys tomorrow morning to see if they'll be lenient with the dates but I'm not holding out much hope.

I've booked the days off work so depending what happens with the ferry I might just carry on my own.....Superduke solo :no_mouth:

10. I've got three guys heading over and staying at ours. One is from on here (Pilotpaul)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cheers for letting me know.

It's a tough one, kinda feel like I should still go if the ferry is too late to cancel. But I don't want to be a spare part on someone else's trip either

12. Don't be silly mate, you are more than welcome to be seen in public with us ! We arrive on Friday afternoon and return to the tunnel on Monday around 5pm local time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. You should try living in a small village in the alps! What's dial-up and where can I get it?

• WTF WTF x 1
  14. Very good of you, thanks.

If I carry on I'll be getting in to Rotterdam early Friday morning and heading across to pick up the A258 from Eupen and ride in towards Barweiler where I'm staying.

Heading back to the eurotunnel myself on Monday afternoon before doing the long haul of Folkestone back to Nottingham.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Don't mind hooking up if you do come on over.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jeeeeez that shifts that thing, great vid

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks, appreciate all the welcoming offers chaps

Do Not Sell My Personal Information