1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Beautiful But Worrying Multistrada

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Desmo Jim, Mar 20, 2021.

1. These bikes are undoubtedly aimed at the BMW market therefore must have plenty of built in faults?

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Really? I don't think that BMW make a bike as thirsty as the V4 Multistrada.
    My new BMW R1250RS has had no faults whatsoever yet and I am building up the miles very quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. British manufacturrers made the parts as well for years...and they were even more unreliable. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Didn’t the V4 panigale have a recall for a oil leak fault too?

5. They still do... but they use us as the guinea pigs.!

After I bought my 1199 I vowed never to buy another 1st year model release.

Once bitten, twice shy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You can make a first prototype of anything that seems perfect, then the beta run when all goes well, but it is only in the white hot heat of full production that problems will show in areas not planned or thought about

7. Along the same lines and keeping in thread - sort of.
    Interesting & somewhat disturbing video here, try to ignore the guy presenting it!

8. I like this dissection of this video by Jim Pruner of WebBikeWorld (a great site):

RANT ALERT!!!
    I want to address this popular new video in the nicest way possible without sounding overly critical. I generally like Ryan's videos and think a lot of his product insight about helmets or communicators is valuable, but this engine oil piece combined with his recent fuel stabilizer one drives me to drink.
    This isn't good science, and doesn't have nearly a wide enough span to draw any proper conclusions. He sampled vastly different engine types without ensuring proper and consistent samples were taken and then compared them to each other? Really?
    Let's compare an old school design, air-cooled Royal Enfield inline twin engine with 50hp to a modern, high-revving, liquid cooled inline twin, 95hp KTM LC8C engine? While we're at it toss in a Ducati 90 degree V2, Aprilia V4, and a V2 Harley Davidson 107 Milwaukee 8???!
    Nooooooooooooo! You need to compare apples to apples and I mean Gala to Gala and McIntosh to McIntosh that are all the same size, grown in the same year, the same soil, harvested and processed exactly the same way. You also need to follow strict procedures over and over again to rule out variables of user interference, fluke inconsistencies within the same brand/type of engine, and ensure your testing instruments don't inject more inconsistencies into the results. The results have to be repeatable in any other lab or very close to it to be credible. I see none of this in this "experiment" or comparison.
    Here's the gist of the results: It's complete rubbish and misleading. It's also irresponsible for Ryan and F9 to spread false information like this to the unsuspecting public who trust him to do his research before sharing. His totally out-to-lunch testing methods aren't even the biggest problem here. It's his interpretation of the data.
    I work as a Heavy Equipment Technician (Diesel Mechanic) and have for almost 20 years. We regularly sample fluids from a wide variety of mechanical compartments and send it off to an oil analysis lab for condition monitoring. When samples register unusually high particle counts or show irregular lubricant dilution/contamination we investigate and take corrective action. We deal with engines and machinery that costs millions of dollars so it's critical to understand what's going on.
    This sampling system has been in place for a long time and the truth is ANYONE can send in a sample or samples regularly for the same analysis to be done on any vehicle. All it costs is money and time, but the trick is knowing how to take samples correctly and interpreting what's normal versus abnormal data.
    That's where this video falls on its face. Ryan has no idea what he's talking about and the "anonymous insider" has failed to educate him correctly as well. Besides, if this information is reliable why would the oil lab insider need to remain anonymous? If this is factual data of any value then they should be proud to blow the lid off the cover hiding the truth from us, right?
    This very poor comparison information tells us only one actual bit of truth about first service engine oil: it's dirty. What's missing here is that you want it to be dirty for the first 600 miles/1000 kms. Yeah... seriously.
    That's part of the reason you run conventional oil or only semi-synthetic for the first 600 miles instead of full synthetic oil. You want all the bumpy asperities of the engine metals to smooth and shape themselves against each other (in a controlled way) to ensure a long lifetime of good running. The “dinosaur” oil allows for more contact to take place during the break in period to accomplish this. Think of it as internal polishing using a bit of microscopic grit that is purposely generated.
    This has been engineered into engine design for many years and is desired. Bits of metal, carbon, lint, plastic from seals, and a whole host of other contaminants get picked up as well and drained out with the short service oil change. It's a flushing period and is COMPLETELY NORMAL. If you don't see particulates in the first oil sample something is probably wrong! Some manufacturers build their engines with tighter tolerances and those are the ones you're going to see make more metal to begin with. It's planned!!!
    You won't plug up oil galleries with particulates in the microscopic size range. Not a chance, Ryan. Not even small particles of wood will do that, but he makes it seem like they found a 2X4 in one of their oil samples. All his hand-wringing and dire warnings about initial contaminants is laughable and shows his incredible naivety on the subject.
    Some manufacturers machine and assemble their engines to very tight initial tolerances and those ones will make more metal than others having much looser fitting components with little to no wear-in planned. You think maybe that might explain why the low powered Royal Enfield makes almost no particulates compared to a high performance Aprilia V4 engine? An air cooled engine will act very differently than a liquid cooled one will, so things are set up much tighter in a more powerful engine. Tighter tolerances help create all those horses.
    Subsequent oil samples from the initial will be significantly cleaner because break in is over, things are now polished to the point the manufacturers intended and all the initial assembly and break in "gunk" is flushed out. Not to mention most manufacturers recommend switching to a full synthetic oil at this point to keep a uniform film of lubrication on the polished internals. Synthetic oil bonds better at the molecular level and also conditions seals better to keep them from flaking apart and wearing quickly.
    So, the break-in period dirty oil is the baseline used to measure future samples. In other words, this is the worst or dirtiest oil you should ever see in the engine unless there's an actual problem developing.
    If the engine continues making close to this level of particulates, silica, carbon and other contaminants down the road with the synthetic oil then you have a potential problem. Maybe you're air filter housing isn't sealing and allowing dust into the engine? Maybe your oil level isn't correct? Maybe you're using the wrong oil filter or viscosity of oil for the ambient temperatures encountered? Maybe your engine is overheating because of a plugged rad or inefficient cooling system? Maybe something is put together wrong from factory.
    There are so many possible causes, but the oil analysis lab will flag samples that are outside the acceptable range. Most times you start by flushing the system again and resampling. Often that fixes the problem or suggests human error when collecting the sample that was flagged since the same amount of contamination wasn't found on the next analysis.
    This video and others like it is what's wrong with the internet these days, in my opinion. We tend to value entertainment more than journalistic integrity. Experts are cast aside with suspicion while flashy con men are revered because they're easier to listen to.
    Ryan's videos are beautifully filmed and edited. His delivery is very smooth and makes him seem like an expert on the subject matter, but in reality we the viewers need to use critical thinking whenever we encounter something that seems incredible like this and ask ourselves does this make sense? Where's the proof here that is beyond reasonable doubt?
    Why doesn't Ryan have an actual Tribologist or Reliability Engineer in his video to help explain the oil sample data he's collected? Even a lowly Heavy Equipment Technician like me can see through this smoke and mirrors show.
    An actual expert would tell him that he's way off base. I think Ryan's ego has become so inflated at this point thanks t o his success on YouTube that even he is starting to believe he's an expert on any subject he chooses to explore.
    - Jim

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1

9. 300 miles on mine and so far all is well mechanically. We don’t get adaptive cruise yet in the U.S. so hopefully that gets sorted by summertime. The phone interface and Ducati’s version of WiFi however... it’s completely useless at this point. First of all it requires your phone to remain unlocked what the?? Second it drops connection on the regular and lastly I’ve heard Sygic is a favorite in Europe but it’s no google, Waze, or Gaia that’s for sure, that is when I’ve been able to use it.

10. Can you summarise that into one sentence please?!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yes. Ryan F9's video was about as scientific as pissing on a roadmap to predict weather patterns.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I was due to take delivery of a V4S tomorrow but was told last Friday that Ducati have instructed that no new bikes are to be delivered. Dealer doesn’t know why but thinks there could be a three week delay

13. Yes it was fot the oil cooler, the pipe connectors on it were poorly brazed and had a tendency to crack and dump all of the oil, so Ducati changed the design of this and replaced them during the recall (including mine).

I would of hoped that Ducati would of learned their lesson from the Panigale V4 launch, because there were so many issues, and recalls for all sorts of stuff that obviously hadn't been tested properley in their rush to get it out there.

Fingers crossed for you new V4 Multistrada owners, I hope you don't have the same amount of crap to deal with as I did with my Panigale V4.

And if you do, I hope you get a better response from Ducati than I did.......

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Seems the issue with the V4 Multistrada is a valve guide problem, seems they are replacing the complete engines on dealer bikes prior to delivery, three week delay on delivery

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. FFS!

16. Any rant about oil is just a persons subjective opinion unless it is backed by scientific proven analysis and compared to either an industry standard or baseline sample.

(I also work for a company that samples oil every service we perform for analysis. Last year we analyzed 85000 fluid samples. Takes the guesswork out of engine/transmission/hydraulic health when we can track a trend in a component.)

17. Seriously?

18. That's an eye opener

19. Got a message from my dealer Friday. My V4 must back to the factory. The valve guides could break down. It concerns about all machines delivered in NL. I am reading the same messages at the German forum. Just have had the 1000 km services.

20. Oh dear, that's confirmation of the rumour reported on another post :(

That's not a great start for a bike that's being hailed as such a wonderful bike by the press and a disappointment for new owners or those still waiting for delivery of their new bikes. I don't suppose that they gave any indication of how long you'd need to wait to get your bike back? Condolences, you'll be missing out on the start of the riding season.

Your report does differ from the rumour that seemed to infer that machines already on the road would have engines, shipped from Italy, replaced by dealers. Bikes yet to be delivered to their owners would be returned to the factory. Neither of these is a great prospect especially for such a premium bike. I wonder if Ducati are doing anything to sweeten this bitter pill for those that have spent a very significant sum to buy into this new model?

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information