1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Bling Me Up

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Expat Jack, Apr 29, 2020.

1. A set of BSTs now my Dymag are done?

• Like Like x 1
  2. :D Joe, you are killing me!!
    Bike is a Sigma Full Monty Grunter so should have enough poke.
    Wheels would be nice but I have a very strict budget that I have already exceeded!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Öhlins forks?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. See above!!:cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Just the sprocket guard I guess? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I have just bought a straight replacement rear shock for the old 999 and am looking for advice.
    Any tips on fitting it, I saw that muppet on youtube drop his a couple of times so I will try and avoid that method.
    Is there any value in the old one, do they get refurbished?

7. A black axle stand...how working class!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hi Mike. Easy job on the 996 if you have an ABBA stand (assume same in 999). Heel plate off. Undo top and bottom bolts. Stand under swing arm to stop it crashing down (or just hold it). Remove. Refit.
    Old shock is being kept to go back on when I sell it in the future.

#28 Expat Jack, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
  9. Just a quick update on Nitron’s service. To mount under the seat will need a couple of slightly larger rubber mounts. I asked Nitron what they had that might work. “How big?” they asked. They are now 3D printing me up a set foc. Brilliant.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Thanks, no idea what an ABBA stand is, can I block up from the back wheel to the exhaust, will that work?

11. Abba stand supports the bike via the swing arm bolt holes.
    You need to find a way of supporting the bike, getting the rear up without lifting the swing arm. So a normal paddock stand will not work.
    Axle stands under the footrest brackets is one way (or swap footrests so they fold down not up and use these), or suspend from rafters. There will be many ways to do it but I don’t have a 999 so can’t offer specific advice.

12. Got it, if I use a paddock stand for stability then hold the rest up on a strap, say around the exhausts?

13. When I did mine, without using a stand (although I do have paddock stands, but the rear got in the way for this job), I removed my foot pegs and flipped them over from left to right and upside down, you can then put axle stands under them. You can also have jack and wooden blocks under the engine and suspend it from the ceiling to keep it all secure and stop it falling off the makeshift stands.

The photo below is before the footage stands went on and the suspension came out.

IMG_9971.jpg

I also added a 3rd strap at the back for safety.
    IMG_0183.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. No. Not the exhausts. The weight of the bike would damage them. Somewhere on the frame. Get it up on the paddock stand. Take ALL the weight with straps. Remove and fit. Or, get an ABBA stand. Very useful but if kit and can be used on pretty much any bike with the right adapter.
    https://abbastands.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thanks Paul. That will help Mike. I didn’t have any photos to show. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. are these being listed?

17. Sound advice, many thanks

18. Essential journey required today as we had run out of milk.

First ride out on the 996 since I bought it in January and, more importantly since it had been given the once over.

Took it gentle as it’s a shakedown run but suspension feels great and brakes are now good (new Brembo SC pads, fluid plus free up disk bobbins). Bike pulls hard up to 9000 and is deceptively fast.
    Happy bunny.
    Will spend this afternoon checking all is still where it should be. :upyeah:

#38 Expat Jack, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  19. image.jpg Thank you Nitron:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mike, probably too late and apolgies to Jack for the thread hijack but this may be useful for your shock https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/changing-rear-shock-absorber.49305/ They can be refurbished at a cost of around £220 and there are a few companies that do them

Do Not Sell My Personal Information