1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Boooooom!!! Backfiring..

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by David Rae, Sep 30, 2020.

1. I had trouble with a PCiii that came with the bike, it was running when we got it and went out one day, it wouldnt' start. removed the PCiii and it started ok..I'm wondering if I've a similar problem to Paul above but perhaps at the multi plug connector to the airbox which the PCiii interfaces with..off to the garage...I'll get back to u

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ok, Ive examined the mini timer plugs and the injectors, the multi plug socket on airbox and fuel pump connector. The injectors are 14ohms each and measured both at the injector and the multi plug. The tps was renewed a couple of months back. I did a push back test on the pins/sockets, all good. I removed the plugs and replaced with a good used set gapped at 0.9mm. Left the airbox lid off so I could view the injector patterns. Started up ok and soon as around 50C it dropped a cylinder and started misfiring. I took the coils back out and moved the ZS441 from the rear cyl to the front and the ZS085 to the rear. It warmed up and went to 85C without misfire despite provocation with throttle blipping. I refitted the HM QS and it dropped a cylinder with eml on straight away, I disconnected the QS in turn and it seems the front coil hates the QS, or the QS circuit is corrupt. I replaced the front ZS441 with an oem ducati coil which has sat on the shelf for nearly two years and left the QS out of cct, same result. Ran good. Refitted the QS and it started misfiring again.
    My conclusion is that whatever the QS is doing/has done, the ZS441 coil pack didnt like it or the heat from the rear cyl when warm. I strongly believe the QS damaged the coil at the instant it was activated. Looking at the 441, it seems it doesnt have the same reach to the plug top conductor as the stock coil, perhaps the 848/1098 head has a different plug insertion depth. I wont be running a 441. So, I'm trying to get a hold of HM to discuss the lever operated QS and now in search of ZS085/ducati coil pack(s)......Thanks to Paul for the inspiration. I built this bike over last winter for my other half who dropped it third time out in the summer, I then spent 6 weeks repairing and repainting it, fitting the QS was the last mod I was going to do, but.........the post tells the story.

20201005_132619.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Who made your frame?

4. Me

• Like Like x 1
  5. What engine is that in your avatar?

6. My bet is our man works or worked for RR in Inchinnan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. lol...not RR. Unemployed aircraft engineer since March..the engine is a GE GEN-X from an Airbridge cargo 747 that had a few hours on the clock. The ATC sent him down a taxi-way with snow either side and it sucked solid lumps up and destroyed both outboard engines.. I was alarmed at the destruction but the crew I was speaking to had the pics from the crew who took them at the time..

• Like Like x 2
  8. Interesting. Also, just FYI, when I was investigating the misfire on my 998 (it was/is new to me) the front cylinder had a non-standard HT lead. It had been lifted from a Lancia Intégra and was 5mm shorter than the Ducati one :astonished:. It wasn’t making full contact with the plug in the cylinder head plug hole. I thought that was my issue at first, bought the correct HT lead from Ducati - £95 :eek::mad: - but still had the problem which I eventually solved as you found out.

iirc the coils on the 749 are stick coils in line with the HT lead. The front one is notorious for getting water damaged & playing up.

9. Still waiting on HM replying after sending them loom pictures which they hope will show that the loom isnt their part. In the meantime, I've sent a return request to the latvian ebay user "peglob-0"
    who sold the shifter, beware that one. Its a lever type shifter, not the rod type sensor.

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 07.16.19.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Just found this thread on here whilst searching for the HM Loom links...
    848 Hm Quick Shift Problem
    A seal on the front cylinder connector! I'll try removing it once the daylight appears..then test.

11. Came across this anomaly in the wiring manual between 749 (top image) and 848/1098 (bottom image) coil installations....wonder if it has effect on QS operation? Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 09.00.21.png Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 09.00.54.png

12. Thx Paul, I have a couple of pink injectors but they pour fuel in and choke you without remapping! lol... So far I've run this morning without seals in the coil couplings and it seemed to run ok, I refitted the seals and it still seems to run ok. Time to put it back together and try a run.......

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tried everything, new fp relay, new fuel hoses as return appeared damaged through trapping and overheating,... seems as soon as temp rises above 50c, the idle drops and she stalls. As soon as I restart the engine and blip the throttle, she BOOMS and stalls immediately. Tried reloading the same map to the ecu which was a success but results the same. Could the ecu coil driver be damaged?....no live ecu fault codes..unusual fault

14. Almost dread to ask, have you checked the fuel tank breather?

15. No problem, we often forget the simplest stuff but.. The fuel cap is a DP one and the seal alone is pretty poor. I will double check the vent tube is clear though, thx for input. I'm running out of ideas..

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'm trying hard not to relate the problem to the fitment of the quick shifter.. Although it's been removed, the problem appeared immediately on fitting it and remains..

17. It would seem that the fault is related to fitting of the Q/S but I would also rule out the CPS as a failing one can produce very similar problems.

As you have ruled out so much, beg, borrow or steal a sensor and try it?

18. Thx, the CPS was renewed 18 month ago trying to solve cutting out at lights etc...I might still have the old one though....

19. Well, update, I checked the tank vent tubes, all clear. I couldnt find the original CPS but I still had the original 59M ecu. I didnt want it to be the ECU as I liked the 5AM to program and play with the idle etc..However, I just came back in from a few miles riding and the bike she ran without flaw, no backfiring.
    I still cant believe the 5AM ecu was wrecked by the new HM QS. I've packaged the QS up for return today. I need to replace the 59M with another good 5AM ecu. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. Till next episode :beer::beer::beer::beer::upyeah::)

• Like Like x 5
Do Not Sell My Personal Information