1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Rust Pitting - What To Do?

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by ck_uk, Feb 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. From my initial attempts in the failing light, the chain has started to clean up well. There is some pitting which can't be removed, but it looks loads better. already I'll take some pics in daylight.

Thanks for all the advice.

2. Keep the brushes away from the O / X rings.

TB

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. For a reason I cannot explain, I was told the OE chains Ducati source are not treated/coated/anodised which I guess reduces the unit price just like the Ohlins fitted to Ducati are made to a budget not what you’d get if you paid full price from Ohlins direct. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I read something on another thread about this and you shouldn’t use a brass brush as it reacts with the chain metal. It recommended using steel wire brush only

5. "For a reason I cannot explain, I was told"
    Is it a secret or you cannot explain why they told you? Just joking.
    Built on budget... £5 less per chain multiplied by 55k bikes is a lot of saving.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. The other thread you might be referring to is here, post #65. :upyeah:

7. That’s the one

• Like Like x 1
  8. WD-40 does damage rubber. The micrometer just couldn't pick up the small deterioration.
    Here's a test that contradicts that video. At the 5:30 min mark.

9. Got 18k out of my oem chain on my Z1000... And always cleaned with wd40/or paraffin and a wire brush.... Tbh... It probably had another 2k in it but I got a deal on a new chain..

10. #30 DarR, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  11. 18k tells me that either of what I use is good... And that's through all weather's... Zed is my daily driver...

12. I'll concede that it probably doesn't make a huge difference between the two.
    Either one is cheap and readily available.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeah - i would say im about 70% wd40 (its easy to hand) and 30% paraffin as ive gotta pour it into a small dish....id say the critical bit is the wire brush...!

• Like Like x 1
  14. You know I'm bored when I'm down to discussing cleaning products. :rolleyes:
    Maybe I'll find some excitement in the gadget thread.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Any product that will clean the grime off a chain has to be solvent based and that solvent will in some way small or otherwise damage the O or X rings as the rubber ( for want of a better word) does not like solvent

The use of those U shaped brushes just rags the O or X rings and seriously reduces chain life

I am very Anal with chains and expect to get the best part of 20K from them i clean them every thousand miles with SDOC chain cleaner and lube after every ride with SDOC white chain spray ( these products are the very best that I have found the cleaner is particularly brilliant, spray it on leave for 15 minutes, hose off gently and then in my case dry it off with bike dryer and then run it through a soft cloth so it is polished and dry before lube

!3k On the 939Sp and the chain didn't ever need adjusting and ( i know everyone says this) i dont ride gently

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. WD40 is mostly paraffin ( plus perfume plus light-weight mineral oil )
    ...... Shhh ! .... don't tell anyone ..... :)

Lots of different views here :-

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threa...ducts-any-strong-opinions.74603/#post-1505824

• Like Like x 1
  17. Meh - dont really care whats in it....just that it works...! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Same here !
    But paraffin is a hell of a lot cheaper ..... £1 per litre ?

19. Now when I was a lad we used to boil the chain in oil, cooked our chips in the same pan, times were hard.
    Any how paraffin, dry off completely and then the magic detailing secret, flat carpenters pencil, the soft ones chisel point and rub over the side plates. Looks lovely and black, acts as a lubricant, soft carbon, non abrasive and fills in your little pits. No wire brushes in brass or any other metal. Get a shoe shine brush with natural bristles. Or a hair brush for that Brylcreem moment.
    O rings don't like being rubbed up the wrong way, they are soft, just like me. Lube with a low fling gearbox oil from a dripper inside chain to out. EP 80/90, cheap as chips and as good as any overpriced spray can.i carry a little ear dripper bottle with about 25ml of oil. lubricants do not need quantity, just be in the right place. Not like me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Soft graphite, pencil excellent dry lubricant. Draw your own conclusions

Do Not Sell My Personal Information