1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Fuel Tank Removal...idiots Guide.

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by yellowducmaniac, Aug 10, 2019.

1. When i've got my ETI tank resprayed i will need to remove the OE tank and fuel pump, please bear with me ,can someone explain the procedure in detail please,i removed and replaced the tank on my old 999S loads of times but i've never done a 1198 , the pump on the 999 was a push fit being careful not to squash the O ring, the 1198 is different ...ta in advance.

2. It’s pretty similar but more adjacent parts need to be removed to allow the tank to be removed.

Do you have a workshop manual?

3. I had one off the other week. As I recall, I had to remove the panels at either side of the seat then the seat pad giving access to the single central bolt at the back of the tank. Remove that bolt and slide the tank backwards off the locating pegs at the front, pull off the breather and drain hoses at the RH rear then lift it enough to disengage the fuel lines (someone to help can be useful). The tank can now be lifted off. When re-fitting it helps a lot if you put vaseline on the rubbers at the front for the pegs to slide into.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. No i havent got one, is there a paper version available?

• Love You Love You x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Got my tank back from the painter yesterday, hopefully fitting it at the weekend...I'll see how I get on but might be back on here asking for advice if I get stuck... 20190927_090718.jpg

6. One thing that differs between the OE tank and the ETI is that the OE has a couple of vent pipes on the right underside of the tank which i have just disconnected and cable tied unobtrusively to the frame , the ETI tanks filler cap acts as the vent , all in all its quite a lot more straightforward to swap than my old 999 where you had to remove the whole tail/seat unit to gain access...will post some pics when i get it fitted properly , it looks like its quite a bit taller and fatter than the OE though, hope it doesnt change the aesthetics of the bike too much in a negative way.:D

7. Piece of p**s :)

While you are on, I highly recommend getting rid of the 6 x allen head fuel pump bolts for standard bolts. They are made from cheese and round off as soon as you look at them.

See the bottom of my 1st post on This Thread - Bolts on This Post

#8 Robarano, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Here are the relevant pages

Screenshot 2019-09-28 at 17.30.24.png Screenshot 2019-09-28 at 17.30.27.png Screenshot 2019-09-28 at 17.30.30.png Screenshot 2019-09-28 at 17.30.34.png Screenshot 2019-09-28 at 17.30.36.png Screenshot 2019-09-28 at 17.30.43.png Screenshot 2019-09-28 at 17.30.47.png Screenshot 2019-09-28 at 17.30.50.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Brill...just a quick question...I'm working on the right side of the bike and I can't remember which fuel pipe went In which union, I think the pipe nearest to me went into the forward most union but I don't want to fuck things up.

10. I'm not sure it matters as it's basically just a recirculating system to get fuel to the injectors. I could be wrong though and the unions are labelled IN / OUT. o_O

They should lend themselves to going back onto where they came from and on my bike one is slightly shorter than the other. :bucktooth:

Lines.jpg

11. Ok I will double check that the shortest pipe goes to the closest union.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Just checked and it is how i thought, from the right side of the bike the pipe nearest to me goes into the most forward union ,not sure if its marked In or OUT but I primed the pump a couple of times pressed the starter and chuff chuff kabooom...rattle rattle.:D:D

I love these bikes:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sounds nasty. o_O
    :thinkingface: Oh hang on, it's a Ducati isn't it? That's normal maniac man. :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Had my first proper ride on my 1198s with the ETI tank fitted today, first thing i noticed was it pressing uncomfortably against my stomach , i had an op for an Umbilical hernia a couple of years ago and believe it or not its still a tender area, i didnt have a problem with the stock tank but the ETI one is quite a lot taller.
    Also when filling the bike up i noticed some petrol residue around the front of the filler!...the breather vent is a small hole in the filler cap, over time i'm a bit worried it might start lifting the paint and bubbling in that area...i'm thinking of blocking the vent hole in the filler and drilling and fitting an external breather vent at the top front of the tank like on a large 749R tank...thoughts as to whether this is feasible please.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information