1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Just Bought A 996 Pics And Questions!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by drumm23, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Cheers Paul, just quickly checked my spare and same connector. But if new one fits might as well get new

2. Hi,nice bike!You can get a little rise from swapping the the bars over.You will also find a reduced benefit from riser bars,due to clearance issues.

3. Nice bike. Health to enjoy sir.

4. That connection looks like an older optimate one
    I'm not 6' but I have Gilles variobars fitted to mine I had no need to alter any cables etc. I couldn't get on with the bar swap felt weird a bit like cowhorns on a pushbike

5. Very nice! Will look even better when you get it sprayed Red...

X

• Funny Funny x 3
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. Very nice bike , enjoy it with the nice clear roads :):upyeah:

7. Glad it worked out well - lovely bike. :)

Make sure you check what kind of battery is installed before you plug a charger into that lead! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brilliant lads - thanks for all the advice and well wishes - genuinely appreciate it. :upyeah:

I've found a few old threads on risers that go through the various options, so will make my way through them :bucktooth:

9. Quick update ... small problem ... :thinkingface:

So ... Bike starts fine when cold; but when I take it for a run (can't go more than a few miles so temps aren't rising much, barely a notch on the gauge) if I stop (as I did for petrol this evening) then when I go to restart it it really struggles to get going. I have to give it throttle as I press the starter and it is still very tough to get it going... I can hear the starter but it doesn't seem to turn the engine well enough...

Could this be battery? Or the CPS came up when I did a search? Or could the temp sensors be off and sending wrong readings to the electricals - the gauge is barely registering any change in temp after a few miles should it be rising more quickly than that?

Thanks lads :upyeah:

10. @Exige
    You need some of his them there exact start cables.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Common issue for temp gauges to not work, lot of heat comes up that way from the engine. Def check the battery tho, spray clutch will fook up if battery isn’t tip top

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. As @Pete433 says, could be the starter sprag clutch. Common issue if bike attempted to start with a crap battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Battery and a set of decent battery cables first that will tell you if the sprag clutch needs doing .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Cheers lads - bet it's the battery :upyeah:

15. :thinkingface: I remember reading about them before - will check them out again now, thanks Jack. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. @Expat Jack such a good thread that, think I might get myself some new cables, I think after 20 odd years of use probably be a nice little treat for the old girl

• Like Like x 4
  17. Welcome and enjoy!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Alright gents ... so I got a new battery and Exige's exact stat kit ... and am still in the same place unfortunately!

Now I was able to bump start it: jogging along, starter and throttle and it fired and sounded absolutely perfect; I sat on it for a few minutes, kept the revs up but after I let the throttle back to zero it idled for about ten seconds then died (it wasn't really warm yet so I'm not convinced that it wouldn't have held its idle if I'd ridden it for a few minutes - I had no helmet or anything on so couldn't bring it for a spin and was concerned if I did and it died a few miles away that I wouldn't be able to get back home!).

Anyway, I took a video of me trying to start it from a standstill - maybe the various noises might give people an idea what is up!!!

Appreciate the help guys :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information