1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Just Picked Up A 999s, Calling Her Valentina!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by TheJackal, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Your fairing options.

999s in 999r fairing.
    Then back in 999s set up.
    The 999r cockpit fairing doesn't quite mate up with the 999s lowers perfectly. Also the 999R is slimmer - hence the 'bulges' in the side panels and of course one piece winglets.

Fairing R.jpg

Fairing V3.jpg

2. If your question is the IAW59M to IAW5AM ECU swap then I'll quote @chrisw :

Longevity. The IAW59M can suffer coil driver failure. The IAW5AM appears to be more robust. The IAW59M has been around on Ducatis since 2001 when it was fitted to the 996R and ST4S. 20 year old electronics.

Once in a while on mine the bike would stall with a loud bang/pop so not sure if the coil driver circuits were showing symptoms of age or not.

The IAW5AM ECU was fitted as standard to 2nd generation (2005+) 999 bikes so its fully compatible.

3. I also ditched the clutch and brake reservoirs when I fitted adjustable handle bars....I started with the Brembo kits, but thought it looked awful. So this is my latest prototype solution - also the smoke reservoirs and clear Tygon tubing looks a lot nicer.

Obviously make sure the pinch bolts still torque up correctly to grip the forks. I didn't want to drill the yoke/triple clamps. Keep an eye on fluid levels as the reservoir is smaller than before. It all bleeds up fine and I've done track days so no overheating of the fluid.

I'll make better brackets and source some neater dome head bolts and nuts for the final finish

2015-04-04 16.34.18.jpg 2015-04-04 16.34.18.jpg 2015-04-04 16.37.33.jpg

2015-04-04 16.35.02.jpg

• Like Like x 1

4. Ah ok.
    So on my 05 749 and 05 999s i already have them. And also have an 999s stock ecu and 999 05 ecu as spare.
    The sneller of the nero suplied the oem exhaust and ecu with it.

5. Replaced the existing clutch pressure plate with a "vented" Ducabike part. The vented bit is in carbon and the plate in anodized red.

Ended up having to move back to my previous heavy duty springs because Ducabike springs would compress so much that they started to bind and wouldn't allow pressure plate do disengage. Could be (and was) sorted using spacers but it reduced the pressure plate force on the clutch pack.

The heavy duty springs are thicker and require different spring caps with narrower inserts:

signal-2021-04-11-193242_001.jpeg

Kind of like the look of the heavy duty ones on the Ducabike plate:

signal-2021-04-11-193242_002.jpeg

Looks nice me thinks :)

signal-2021-04-11-193242_003.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Not seen a pressure plate like that before.

7. Its just a regular pressure plate made to Ducati Performance specs which has an add-on (in carbon) thats supposed to vent the clutch as the whole pressure plate spins.

More details on the Ducabike website.

#127 TheJackal, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. That's a good looking clutch plate. Love it!

9. Just thought I'd update this thread with the latest :)

Changed the screen for an F. Fabbri Double Bubble (model D044) one which apart from looks, also means when I glance down at the dash I can actually see if my fuel reserve light has come on. In doing so I also replaced the DRL because one of the connectors had snapped off. Turns out the only ones left in stock are the slightly tinted versions from 2005+ bikes but I think it looks rather nice.

IMG_8435.JPG
    IMG_8418.JPG

Also decided to varnish the belt covers from post #104 as I think they're more in period with the rest of the carbon that was already on the bike.

Otherwise I've been riding it pretty much every weekend, feel like a hero each time! :p

• Like Like x 4
  10. She just looks gorgeous! :)

IMG_8480.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Now running 221999SDQDP on my 5AM ECU which is supposed to be the Ducati Performance map for the full 57mm termi system.

Bike feels much happier now :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. In reply to myself I'd like to say that although the bike feels like it revs out faster than standard, it does loose some of that meaty low to mid range torque so I've gone back to the standard '05 999S 28640841M map.

I do have a custom map for a 54mm Termi slip-on system which is what I have on my bike that I'll be trying in the next few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. January 2022 Update

Apart from the melted alternator plug shenanigans (https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/melted-alternator-to-rectifier-plug.89482/) I've also had Valentina at the local Ducati wizard for a valve and cam adjustment.

Apparently the valve (seats?) were on the loose side and the H and V cams were out of timing. I think my suspicion that this engine has never had a cam/valve job in its 23,000 mile life have been confirmed!

Also changed the final drive ratio to 15/39 (up from 15/36) and gone with a gold on gold chain because well, we all know gold makes everything better! :joy:

IMG_8986.jpg

The rear steel JT sprocket is temporary as it weighs almost as much as the bloody chain and due to damned Brexit, getting parts from the UK (B&C Express) means import duties at customs.

When the opportunity arises it will get replaced by a Renthal of Afam hard anodized rear sprocket.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I had to replace both Ohlins stickers on the forks because one was missing and I never managed to get anything off eBay that matched the OEM darker blue, it was always the more modern lighter blue Ohlins logo.

As I like to do things right I never gave up looking and I recently came across a place in Germany (mcet.de) that sells the earlier darker blue logo. Looks right now:

IMG_9093.jpg

Also went to town on the headers with some Harpic and as a matter of course also replaced all the exhaust manifold gaskets and nuts. Naturally the horizontal manifold nuts were rusted on so replaced all four spigots.

IMG_9089.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  15. Latest bit of kit is supposed 999RS style rear sets, so far much grippier than OEM

20CDE95B-A294-412C-A263-D180EA199890.jpeg
    0A7F009E-89BB-4330-94BC-35F372AD344F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Samco hoses + clips fitted!

5E88BA1A-CE82-4B49-A5D7-45D949A8FD68.jpeg

Those with an eagle eye will also spot the Power Commander :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cycle Cat rearsets? They look similar… I had them on the 998S for a while and are quality kit.

18. Cerakoted callipers in Titanium colour with red Brembo letters, looks awesome!

0819D71E-2DB2-43EA-8FFD-862B502686FC.jpeg

Will look even better once the Marchesini M10RS arrive in gloss black and I can fit the Brembo super sport floaters in gold!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Loving the discs!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information