1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lithium Battery Chargers

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Regenwulf, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Thanks.
    So am I just supposed to plug it in if it ever goes flat, in the same way I would a normal one?!

Just seems a bit strange for me as the dealer fitted a plug thing that I've hidden under one of the side tank panels but if I don't need it not sure why they did? Not knocking the dealer by the way.

2. Lithium Batteries will maintain the charge for weeks - maybe top up once a month over winter for a few hours...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hero, thanks

4. My 17 & 18 model Ktm's came with JMT as factory fitment.
    I have used JMT in my 15' R1 for 3 years without any issues.(factory battery struggled to start the bike if unused for 3 weeks, the JMT started the bike after 5 months....
    Used Skyrich in my 95' Suzuki RGV250 2t for 5 years never had to charge it, been left unused for 10months(track only bike and tbh not the best electrics even when new, let alone after 24 years).
    There is a risk..but so is riding a bike..or flying a plane.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cheers. I've taken the plunge and bought jmt batteries for both my Pani and my hyper. Yet to fit. Also bought a ctek charger for lithium batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Personally I wouldn't use cheap end generic branded Lithium batteries on a Ducati specified for Lithium...

• Love You Love You x 1
  7. Talked to the owner of Electrex World today regarding a race style alternator for my Kr1000 project. I mentioned running a Lithium to which he said don't - but if you do use a Shorai or Skyrich and mount the Reg Rec in the airstream.
    His company refuse to recommend Lithium as they cannot justify the insurance against fires - so although some modern high end Lithium Batteries are OK if all other components are too - he said he can't afford the time and money to fight cases where Lithium Batteries have fried his components when they go wrong. I will be using a Skyrich (Ducati OEM choice) on the KR and mounting the Reg Rec sensibly too :cool::upyeah:

:motorcycleduc::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Electrex know what they are talking about , unlike a bunch of other firms ,
    who only know about talking .

• Like Like x 1
  9. I went for the standard Mosfet regulator fitted to many later model Ducatis which is fully LiPo compatible. :eyes:

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/mosfet-regulator-installation.68657/

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Ok Aircon me old china...
    Everytime someone starts the "I've fitted a lithium battery to my ducati" you get the pitchforks and burning torches out.

Here's a radical thought...

You've all the knowledge on this so why don't you :

Start a thread which can be made sticky explaining:
    a) why Lithium batteries are a bad idea on stock bikes to date
    and
    b) If you want to change to a lithium battery what you will need to do. (because someone will always want to do it no matter what).

G'wan G'wan G'wan

:upyeah::)

• Like Like x 1
  11. I think we did.... or did I imagine it... ouch... my pitch fork just burnt my fingers.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yes, it's been done :)

13. And this was actually your contribution to this thread :thinkingface:

14. And this was mine :thinkingface:

15. Was it?

Ahh cool did el toro ever make it sticky in the technical forum?

16. No, but I think it was you who requested it before too :eyes: your post #53 was highly inaccurate :eek:

17. Dude... 6 posts ago, we’ve moved on from there.

Anyhoo- it should be a sticky as that question will come up over and over and its best just to point people to it aircon is an authoritah on the subject

• Love You Love You x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information