1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 No Start

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by xander296, May 27, 2021.

1. Went out yesterday got a mot,bike running fine, did about 16 miles switched off left for maybe 1 hour, lots of moisture about, fairing screen very damp, bike refused to start switched on fine, dash went through the startup cycle,but just refused to fire, goy it on a flatbed took it two miles home, switched on started straight up, wtf
    Any ideas what to check to prevent it happening again?

2. Sidestand switch or fuel punp relays.

Both prevent startyand both are prone to fail, especially in moist conditions

Raoul

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yep sounds like the fuel pump relay, same relay is used for the headlight, generic relay cheap.

The fuel pump relay is mounted behind the battery tray, the relay is generic.

Whilst you’re checking the fuel pump relay check the earth wire is clean and a good connection.

#3 DucatiScud, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  4. Could also be fuel pump wiring. Does the pump prime?

5. Poor design for those relays, aren't they mounted the wrong way up so they allow water ingress?

6. Is the fuel pump relay behind the battery?

• Like Like x 1
  7. What dies the yello fuse do as that replicates the problem if I Pull it

16221144848146934295137225856145.jpg

8. The 3 amp protects the ECU
    The 20 amp protects the injector/coil/pump relay (the one in the battery box)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fingers crossed IMG-20210527-WA0008.jpeg

10. So pulling that is the same as the relay failing? See pic above looks toasted to me? fingers crossed

#10 xander296, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  11. Common problem covered multiple times on forum. A 3 quid part that causes no end of problems. Buy some spares and make replacement part of servicing schedule. The relay can be relocated to the top left of battery box. There is even a rubber fixing for it to go into.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Seems good so far!

13. Thanks for the help and taking the time to answer people much appreciated

14. So, does it start now?

15. Yes been out seems fine, it started when I got ihome to be fair, but if I pull the relay it acts just like it did so fingers crossed that relay was the issue

16. Nightmare done it again in corwin, fuel pumps not priming, defo got 12 volt going to it so the pump must have failed or the wiring inside the tank, have to strip it later see if I can find anything, if the filter is block woukd that stop the pump priming? Are they all the same so will this fit are the gen 1 2003 and later 2005 the same pump

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-7...-/253646477869?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

#17 xander296, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. If the filter is completely blocked or near blocked the fuel pump won't prime.

Changing it is a win, win. It may solve the problem and if it doesn't, you've done a job that won't need doing again for some time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The pump will prime and run when the filter is blocked. I tested this a few weeks ago. Look at "fuel pressure" post

Do Not Sell My Personal Information