1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Power Supply Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Pappy, Oct 11, 2018.

1. hi please does any body know if the power supply for the sat nav for the 1260s is in the same place as the 1200 DVT thanks

2. I believe it is. On my 1260 S it is on the LHS (as seen from a rider position) under some of the plastic. You can see it if you remove the plastics on the LHS and maybe just the cover over the SOS port. It is white with a matching male plug having a couple of wires and a resistor in those. It is a 12V supply though, so you will still need a USB adapter thingy. This could be soldered to the above wires for a neat installation.

4. Thanks will have look tomorrow

5. Wired in my Garmin a few weeks ago. As said remove the pop off the black plastic cover over the button to use the access code at the front of the tank. To the left, and right, there are two screws that secure the black plastic strips (with Ducati on) either side of the fairing. Once the two left-hand (as you sit on the bike) screws are removed the left strip is removed by sliding towards the front of the bike. The connector you need is the smaller of the two located towards the rear of the exposed area, there will be a trailing plug in tail that has been heat-shrinked. Tap into these paying attention to polarity and you're good to go. Bear in mind that this is a 12v supply so if your sat nav or phone requires 5v USB power then you'll need to use some form of transformer.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Yes it's in the same place, there's no resistor in the wiring, only heat shrink insulation, and the 12v supply is fine for most recent Sat Nav units, my Garmin 590 is wired directly to it using a modified base, eliminating all the other superfluous wiring, and works fine.

7. just bringing this thread back as im about to fit my 395lm and wire it up.
    question is, there is a plastic box inline on the garmin power wire, which is going to be hard to hide behind the fairing, is there a way of getting rid of it? the tom toms dont have this, just wondered what it did

8. That box is the transformer that takes the 12v feed to 5v USB power that the 395 uses. Do not remove/bypass this as 12v will turn your 395 into an expensive paper-weight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. phew glad i asked

10. Can't you just use one of the two 12v sockets with a USB adapter or the USB port under the seat and run a cable forward?
    Moreover, if those are not enough, you can buy an Optimate adapter for the DDA port.
    Need more? Use an SAE cable from the battery to an SAE to USB dongle.
    The Multi has plenty of power options to run a GPS, Phone, Cameras, Radar Detector etc.
    I was able to run a GPS, a Phone and heated gear simultaneously without splicing any wires on a Panigale and a Monster.
    I don't get what the issue is. What am I missing?

#10 DarR, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  11. Just fitted And wired mine in,
    Couple of questions,
    Where do folk who fitted navs feed the cable. I’ve tucked mine behind the Screen and then fed with other wires and just cable
    Tied it to the wired going into the top of the left fork.
    Also where do folk tuck the little box and excess wiring (Garmin)?

12. Oly, as the link shows above (and I would assume most of us do) cut off all the extra wiring that you don't need and insulate all but the red and black power wires.
    If you use a bluetooth headset you almost certainly don't need it.
    I will shortly be wiring up my 590 mount for my enduro, so will take some pictures if it helps.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I agree though the Garmin 39x range is a slightly different animal in so much as it has a transformer block in-line on the power cable as it runs 5v USB power, not 12v like the 59x series. Not encountered one in the flesh and looked closely at this but isn't it small enough to be tucked into the area under the panel/strip that the connector is under. It's been while since I hooked up my 590 so don't recall how much space there actually is.

Alternatively use a 3M double sided sticky thing, you must have one left-over somewhere, to stick it somewhere inconspicuous. I buy strips of 3M Dual Lock every now and again, useful stuff for attaching things. Due to it's super Velcro nature (very hard to dislodge unless you want to) it's ideal for both permanent and part time attachment.

14. Well pointed out Bumpkin, thanks. I had forgotten that. :upyeah:
    Note to self: read the bleedin post properly before responding :yum

15. I don't get what you're saying. It's absolutely relevant to powering a sat nav as to what the voltage requirements are. Freed a 5v powered sat nav off the accessory socket and you're left with a pricey paperweight.

16. I want to know how to hide the power cables/ transformer from my zumo, couldnt care less about zumo alternatives. Start another thread maybe?
    Ive actually tucked it under the black trim , left side of the bars. though its not fixed. It will either stay there or work itself out and dangle near the forks. My question was to ask if anyone had done anything different

17. Having cables dangling around by the forks isn't great, they may get pinched. Having the plastic transformer block is probably quite dangerous; if that got jammed and it unexpectedly restricted your steering at some point I wouldn't want to think about the possible consequences...

Cable ties, strong 3M sticky fixer pads, whatever, I'd get it properly secured.

18. Not going to labour the point on this as its plainly not worth bothering, but how granular and focused do you want threads on this forum to be? The title is 'Power supply sat nav' everything I've posted is relevant to that and in response to others who have added to the thread on similar grounds. Just because there is minor drift into a specific manufacturer and maybe less relevant specifically to you it's not, IMHO, to far removed from the thread title to warrant another thread.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, as are we all.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information