1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Project 748s

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Great thread Carlo! The bikes a stunner too, top work :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Who did it for you Carlo?

3. Howie , in HG metal polishing

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1

4. Dash is all complete, I went with Icon LEDs , the other leds where poorly made, prone to breaking

[​IMG]

Or course another Track Day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Brave, I don’t think I’d do a track day with original fairings on the bike.

6. Thinking of getting a Chinese set, just no cash flow at the minute

7. Not much done with the bike over the winter, other than a trip to Robbie in mototechnic, she warranted some investigation

I was not sure if it had a flaking rockers issue, Ducati when outsourcing the application of the coating on the rockers, a small number of bikes had an manufacturing issue with the coating, causing it to flake, appear as flakes in your oil but a quick test with battery acid will tell you if the metal was chrionium, based on its reaction, I was skepticle it was due to mileage

Another known issue is the oil gallery plug backing out of the crank, aluminium vs steel, expanding at different rates, its a 20 euro part but requires a full strip and rebuild

These are all the horror stories off the interwebs, my Ducati oe mechanic has yet to see these issues

Thankfully my bike was a loose alternator nut, caused by an assembly line missed step of using thread lock

A new alternator nut, sprag, shim, she is sounding and going better than ever

While the bike was getting its new bits fitted, mechanic noticed the clutch push rod had snapped, not a big issue or would it cause it to stop working but was a chance to upgrade to the newer design with a press pin, to prevent the rod from spinning in the slave cylinder, potentially causing a seal to fail

I fitted a Podium racing clutch link arm, this allows me get the desired 90 degree angle, going up and down the box is alot easier but neutral is harder to get

Fitted a new billet water pump, increase the flow and efficiency of your cooling system, Acts as a heat sink, netting up to 10% cooler running temperatures compared to the stock housing, similar to R&G its designed to provide protection incase of a spill, not a bad thing to have on track

New fork oil and seals
    Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

8. tapatalk_1554913705282.jpeg tapatalk_1554913701201.jpeg tapatalk_1554913698876.jpeg tapatalk_1554913696515.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  9. Looking good mate! Bike looks superb as always!

Out of interest, where is the billet water pump from? It’s got to be worth a consideration

10. Thanks

You have two options SSR or mine , speedy moto

I choose mine based on design over SSR nó other reason

The bike does run cooler now especially in traffic

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lovely bike (needs an 853 engine though ;)) but I struggle to understand how a water pump can spin and so cool water, any quicker when the engine still turns the pump at the same speed. Is the pump section bigger?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. It's bigger

13. Have you got an oil cooler fitted??

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nope it's a S not a R model

15. I still struggle to understand how the pump cools quicker. The coolant channels are no bigger in volume and the pump still spins at the same speed. Not being argumentative, i would just like to understand how it works as the idea of better cooling sounds perfect for mine too.

I'm not an engineer as you can tell.

16. I'd look into fitting an oil cooler. :upyeah:

17. it acts as a heatsink, will also aid in cooling , not too sure if it is more efficient at flowing the coolant but it definitely does not run as hot, I am sure the fresh coolant and maybe my water pump was tired, might also be a factor

18. Was thinking of it, I wonder does the the S engine have provision to fit the R oil cooler, I presume they run a thermostat

19. Yes is the answer to that, all blocks are the same, you'll find the oil connections for the cooler are blanked off on yours.
    No, you won't need a thermostat, the oil just runs through the rad all the time. It's easy enough do, just costly for the bits and pieces. I know, I've looked into it, but admittedly haven't done it. I'll find the link to another thread and post it for you.

Found it :). This should give you all the info you need.
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/748-916-996-oil-cooler.68594/

• Like Like x 2
  20. Thanks Paul

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information