1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seized Front Sprocket.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by West Cork Paul, Aug 1, 2019.

1. :(

sun still out? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Paul, to avoid you going down a blind alley Birdie is correct wrt the splines (they can be clearly seen in your picture as lining up). The point of the groove is when the retaining plate is bolted to the sprocket the plate must be turned by one spline to align the bolt holes and plate to lock the sprocket to that position on the shaft. Normally the sprocket moves a little due to wear on the plate/groove and yours has seized on at some point when the bike has not been driven for a while. When seized like this it will likely cause a tight spot on the chain. It can move both ways along the splines when the plate has been removed and the splines/sprocket are clean which you need to think about when trying to break the corrosion that is holding the sprocket. When it is free there is usually a good 5mm of available spline on the engine side as suggested by Nathan. Chris has already mentioned the usual way to gently break that bond. If you use the screw puller set it up and take up the slack, apply some heat to the sprocket (be careful not to heat the shaft too much) then with a small hammer a judicious and sharp tap on the centre puller bolt should be all that it needs, failing that it will be a dremmel/grinder job.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. You are correct I am confusing it with the fact that the retaining plate has to be turned so it doesn't line up with the splines but does with the holes in the sprocket

• Like Like x 2
  4. It was a mates dads Allegro and garage, 4 bed detached house - the wall cracked right up to the eves of the house o_O it was my Jag, £300 auction buy the week before :blush:

• Like Like x 4
  5. I thought you were joking! Great story.

6. Nope :scream: I have shown and told the full story on here before but fek knows where! My mate Roger was going to bleed the brakes with me, he jumped in the Jag at the end of his drive with me in the passenger seat, gunned it, hit the brakes to see how bad they were, and then everything that day seemed to go tits up from that exact moment on :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. And so the jag wiped out the allegro, which smashed the garage... WTF did your mates Dad say?

8. I predict this thread will end up with more pages than the Brexit one. :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. is your surname Bueller?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. He was a lecturer at the local Tech College and was at work, when the dust settled Roger turned to me and just uttered the word 'Shit'. That when we realised the garage floor was awash with a full tank of petrol from the Allegro. We got out sharpish and went to meet his dad who he knew would be walking home for his lunch, Poor Roger tried to explain when we met him but he couldn't quite get the words out, His dad said it can't be that bad as your both ok so calm down o_O
    When he turned down the drive he laughed!
    House insurance paid out for the buildings, I sold the Jag the next week for £300 that I paid for it the week before. His dad was a cool dude, he had a red Honda CBX1000. He only left this mortal Earth last year at 88 years old, bless him :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. Why, what's it aboot? :bucktooth:

12. What year was that film, they may owe us Royalties :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 2
  14. '86

15. Christ - you could have burnt the place to the ground aswell! Rogers Dad sounds quite the man. If you see Roger tell him you told the story and I reckon his Dad would have been someone I'd have liked to know. Brilliant story Exi - thanks.

#56 Jez900ie, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  16. He is still crazy, still biking with him :):upyeah: - I have some stories that just cannot be told, some involving Mormons o_O

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yay! 2 years after us o_O

18. No:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Thanks Denzil, much appreciated:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information