1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Seized Wheel Nut?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Tel, May 26, 2020.

1. Just trying to remove my rear wheel to get the tyre replaced but the nut won't shift.
    I'm trying to work out whether it's seized or just ridiculously tight. Workshop manual says it should be 230Nm but it won't shift even when in 1st gear and stood on rear brake.
    Anyone had issues getting the nut undone?

2. That nut is tough! Are you using a breaker bar? Also, the service manual is incorrect. From everything I have read the correct torque is 176Nm for the wheel nut and 156Nm for the axle nut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Does the 848 have the 748/9** size rear axle or the later 1098/1198 et al large size axle ? If it’s the smaller diameter, the torque most definitely is not 230Nm. (Just seen the 176 Nm mentioned which sounds better) The axle thread needs to be greased before fitting the nut which helps prevent seizing. Plenty of threads with advice on what to use. Andy

4. I did think 230 was a bit excessive. Using my 24" breaker bar and even tried standing on it. Sounds like it may need shocking with an impact gun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Small axle and needs to be done to 176nm. I had a ruck with my local MOT place because they said 230nm which is correct for the 1198 but a lot of the workshop guides have just copy and pasted. It's even stamped on the rim. I was told not to do it to 230nm as it could wreck the wheel. Mine still needed an impact gun, it used to get tight, if there is any grit or anything on the thread it's a bugger to move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. This is a thing with 848s. They get done up too tight by someone else.
    A gun or truly huge bar is the answer.
    Then always do it up yourself to 176nm.

7. Even with a gun it may be very difficult to get undone. I took the rear wheel off my 1098 a few weeks back after it had been on there for 7 or 8 years due to the bike not being used and it probably took a total of around 15 min gun time before it started turning, and yes the thread had a good coating of grease on it but fcuk me it didn't want to be undone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Turns out it just needed a bit of encouragement

Impact gun.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Just what I used, did the job eventually.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information