1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Shattered 899 Dash Screen

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by DRR117, Mar 11, 2019.

1. So having had this issue on a new 1299S a couple of years ago replaced under warranty I’m here again... this time with a 2014 (well out of warranty) Ducati 899 with a beautifully shattered dash screen.

Has anyone successfully got the dash unit apart to replace the front cover? Thinking heat and a plastic prizing tool

If I buy a second hand dash will it display my mileage or the mileage of the second hand dash? (Anyone with first hand experience as a lot of mixed opinions out there)

Anyone selling an 899 dash?

Pictures for your amusement

5EB36CD6-DBA9-48CB-9A92-F5B29861A8EF.jpeg
    1C8F412D-E633-47C1-8281-64A0F713DFB2.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 1
  2. Yikes
    Cant comment on 899 dash but if its like the 1098, mileage is recorded on dash so new dash new mileage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was reading an old thread on this only today and Ducati evidently secured some new dash fronts for the 1098 warranty a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you can split the unit down I may be able to laser cut a new screen

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. How did you manage to shatter the screen and do you think if you had a screen protector on it it would of saved it?

Rich

6. No idea, I can only logically assume it sh@t itself while I was being so awesomely fast on track! One session it was fine the next, it was gone. And in certain lights it looked even worse

• Like Like x 1
  7. I reckon uv weakens or makes the plastic brittle, which then leads to damage under heat and vibration conditions

• Like Like x 1
  8. Regardless of the manufacture warranty i’d be reading up on the Consumer Rights Act.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Did you hit 88 mph Marty? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Well with some heat, a butter knife and some force work you can get the units apart.

A313DBBF-FE49-4E0C-B532-5479C5A69A23.jpeg

Called local Ducati dealer who had no suggestions on what to do nor would Ducati replace the unit with the bike being nearly 5 years old.

So I’ll see if I can find a good condition second hand unit to see if the mileage is stored on the device or the bikes ecu and maybe try and repair mine if it’s on the device

• Like Like x 2
  11. Seems strange you’ve had two screens go like this??

What are you cleaning them with?
    Polycarbonates do not like any types of liquid solvents, it makes the polycarbonate exhibit what’s called “ environmental stress cracking “ which looks like the crazing effect on your screen, more blurb here if you can be arsed :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_stress_cracking

Just use soap and water on it nothing else

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I was told the 899 stores the mileage in the BBS, and if you replace the dash a dealer/Indy could reload the stored mileage into the new dash. Nelly may be able to confirm.

• Like Like x 1
  13. @nelly

14. Just a thought, but could you get some good quality plastiglas and use that as a template to make a new one, then buy a carbon dash surround to put over it and tidy it up?

15. There was a thread a while back on how to make and fit a replacement 1098 screen.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. See Post #004 :kissing:

17. The "lot of words...." bit put me off.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information