1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning - Multitool With Knife Blade Confiscated At Uk Boarder Control

Discussion in 'Touring' started by steveb123, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Thats what you get going by boat. If you went by the Chunnel, you would have met the Border Officer.

2. Go by RIB using my mate Abdul.
    He takes Bitcoin and no problem with customs. No return tickets and you must provide own paddles, buoyancy aid and torch. Simples. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Please note 'without good reason', you must explain tactfully that you require & use said knife. And a large knife should be stowed away in the bottom of a bag. As to show you have no way of 'quickly' accessing it in a moment of anger. Which is another line of bullshit the police try to present are incriminating circumstance & reason to confiscate.

Wittling wood, demonstarting carving skills, honing the edge, cutting rope, cutting seat belt in an emergency helping surivor or self-rescue bybreaking free. Dicing food & slicing meat to consume. Opening food packaging I'm sure you can logically think some things up. Freeing wild life from plastic waste or fishing netting. Collecting mushrooms & edible fungus safely to preserve the root system (by cutting away just the fruit part than ripping it out of ground) aka foraging. Making a temporary shelter...the mind boggles how the government take our society for granted. Finally making fire'

Jaybus I've got titanium knives for sea kayaking that don't rust. I've got a leatherman raptor that can do multipal things, cut ring off finger/scissors/oxygen tank wrench/carbide glass breaker.

Frankly this pisses me right off, how ordinary tools such as a knife to some plebs in power. Mean you or I are going to suddenly decapitate someone or kill like some stupid american movie. Stand up for your rights or atleast reminstrate you are not happy with interaction & feel government is partially if not totally out of lock step with society at large.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Unfortunately there are several million Hectors and Margots within the M25 that drown out the rest of the country... people tend not to forage too much in Islington (however the guy at Borough Market selling nettles for £2 a bundle might be the cockney exception - nettle tea swilling Hugos wouldn't know where to find drinking nettles...), and London sets the tone for the rest of the UK, whether it's stabbings or scooter crime.

In fairness I live in Lincolnshire and would have to be pretty unlucky to get "caught", as #1 there are hardly any Police here that aren't 100% focused on "criminals" speeding in national limit zones (note: 30, 40, 50 zones are seldom policed) and #2 most people round here are connected by work or leisure to some form of farming / fishing / shooting pursuit and so a lot of folk are "packing". I'm sure that in @finm land there is even more personal liberty to be scored.

Long story short, get as far away from people as possible. And if you're going to carry a knife then make it one that does a job, not some Resident Evil thing that looks like a fractal. As a general rule of thumb, if it's got a blade less than 3", that isn't locking and isn't overly sharp... you'll injure yourself using it. Might as well carry a spork.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. in FINSland there is, or at least, was, a major police crack down by the police on knife and seirious crime. in 2005, glasgow was apparently the most vilent city in europe and beyond. the way the gov handled it was by considering and treating it as a public health issue, ferk knows what that means. crime is now at an all time low, and the city of london, along with forces in canada and america are consulting police scotland on how to move forward.
    acording to my retired copper mate who served in many roles in the force from diver to armed responce, there is a "take no shit" attitude in the force up here. and pretty much everything is covered by common law. if it suits their needs.

6. That's partly my point though, city dwellers don't have the same needs. But if you're living on Rasaay or Lewis, there's a lot more chance of you needing a tool to do a job that incorporates a blade than if you're in Glasgow? Miles from anywhere you need to improvise, and that seems reasonable enough?

7. yip. i'm pretty sure the local bobbies know whats what an who is who. its a shame he aint here, he normally is, and by ferk does he like to talk. and write. he could give you his v,verbose take on it.

8. And that's the difference between robo-copping and policing by discretion... having the right tool in your pocket or rucksack gets the job done, whether that's a hairgrip or a folding knife. Both can be used nefariously... discretionary policing would know the difference between some toerag carrying one to be "the man" and someone who's as likely to use the tip of it as a screwdriver as to strip wire or cut loose packaging. The amount of times in recent years I've cut myself using the wrong tool when a pocketknife would have been fuss-free I couldn't count... :confounded:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. carfull with that pocket knife eugene.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ha, that’s almost funny (getting your knife blade confiscated at Plymouth outbound). Just about every shop or petrol station in Spain has a display of knives with locking blades for sale. Some of them are the size of small machettes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I went out to France on the ferry from Portsmouth last week and was asked if I had a Knife. I replied yes, a multitool, and was asked to show it to the customs officer. He took a quick look at it and said that I should leave it in the panier on the bike and not carry it with me onto the boat. All seemed very sensible to me.
    On a related point, I normally carry a small multitool with me and it does have a knife blade. I've always carried a knife since I was in the scouts back in the 60's. Sorry but just because a bunch of toerags think its cool to carry a knife as a weapon is no reason for me, as a generally law abiding citizen, to stop carrying a knife as a tool.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Has anyone coming back into the UK been asked if they have a knife? Why are they so bothered about the last 50 yards of Britain before you board a ferry to go elsewhere? There are knives in the canteens and restaurants onboard - why aren't they storming the ferries and confiscating the cutlery?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. I bought one of these beautifully simple and very legal knives to carry wherever I like.

https://www.heinnie.com/svord-peasa...aOuhIJzHU8xeDtPwJn2MlxDZgT1GXH2saAg_bEALw_wcB

I then got a smaller fixed blade blunt nose knife for slicing meat and cheese. Would be illegal without the intended use but since I know what I intend to use it for it shouldn't be an issue.

The 'legal' knife above is waaay more dangerous than the illegal cheese knife by having a point I reckon.

Such strange laws.

15. Here's the mini cleaver i got for my camping kitchen:

Screenshot_2019-06-21-23-21-37-898_com.android.chrome.jpg

16. The police don't want the public knowing their legal rights. So they can no doubt fill out some tick box exercise & claim to have removed X-number of knives from the streets.

My next knife has replacable three inch razor blades for dealing with caping & gutting.

#36 GunZenBomZ, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  17. Shock horror.......another person gets stopped at the border control having not read the restricted items list.

18. Isn’t this like boarding a plane? They think you may hijack the ship with your 3 inch machete ;)

19. The swiss army?

20. Having looked at the Brittany Ferries terms and conditions:

(iii) Dangerous Goods and Firearms
    You must not bring dangerous goods, firearms or knives on board, on your person, or in your luggage unless you have obtained written permission from us and possess legal authorisation. Dangerous goods must be declared at the time of booking and can only be transported in a vehicle, therefore are not permitted in the case of a foot passenger. Explosive ordnance and neutralised explosive ordnance of military origin (shells, projectiles, grenades, etc) are prohibited. If you are unsure about whether or not goods are dangerous then you must contact us in advance otherwise we may refuse you entry to the ship, without any liability on our part. The transport of petrol/diesel cans is strictly limited to a maximum of 5 litres per vehicle providing it is in a sealed container designed specifically to carry fuel. There is a limit to the quantity of gas cylinders that may be carried, (including medical gas), for confirmation and authority to carry any gas cylinders please contact passenger services prior to travel.

On arrival at the port you must report to the Duty Operations Manager and follow his/her instructions regarding loading and necessary storage of these goods.

It reads as though ALL knives should not be brought onboard without written permission, I'm not sure this is rigorously enforced, as they would be checking all camper vans and caravans for table and kitchen knives. I don't remember seeing any restricted items list on any booking form, invoice or ticket.

The issue the Boarder Control people had was that that folding knives with locking blades are considered illegal when carried in public anywhere within the UK, unless you can demonstrate a good reason for having it - see post #3 above by @Simon Audi for more details. I was not aware of the distinction between folding knives with locking blades and blades which can't be locked open. I was not asked and did not offer a good reason for having the knife. It was fairly obvious that the multitool was part of tool kit. I have contacted the reputable UK supplier of the tool kit which included the bladed mutitool for comment.

So if you have a legal knife / multitool it might be worth attempting to get written permission from Brittany Ferries. Other ferry companies may have different rules.

Edit:

DFDS has similar wording in their Ts & Cs for knives (You must not bring dangerous goods, including but not limited to gas cylinders, firearms or knives, on board without prior permission from us and without compliance with all applicable regulations and the obtaining of any relevant licences).

Eurotunnel restrictions refers to weapons and has no mention of knives. I believe a folding knife with a locking blade maybe be classed as a weapon.

#40 steveb123, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information