1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Which 1200 Is The Best And Why ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by noobie, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Gloucester and work Stratford-upon-Avon :upyeah:

2. Might be worth a ride up.
    We’re just down the m40 near Marlow

• Like Like x 1
  3. The best MTS 1200.......is the one you're riding!

• Like Like x 1
  4. For me the Twin Spa

5. A jacuzzi in each pannier?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. I like the first 1200, the single spark engine the best. Add Tuneboy+cruise, 43 rear, Ohlins SCU, and it was the fantastic. If someone found a real, repeatable fix for the rear brake, it would be the best bike ever IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mine's the same, except without the Tuneboy (mine runs well enough not to need it). Still got it, added the M50 calipers last Fall, and about to have the fork bushes done and engine covers powder coated. Haven't tried the 1260 yet, but I do love the slightly feral nature of the first bikes - it doesn't stop them being great tourers.

• Like Like x 3
  8. I find the bars on my 1200s too wide, in and out of london filtering constantly.
    I would like narrower bars, without the hassle of cutting down the originals.
    I'm not sure I can reduce the originals enough, The bend in the bars would only allow about 20mm.
    Is there a set out there that would allow a bit more to be cut off or a set that's narrower.
    The height is fine and the riding position, it's just the width, can anyone help?

9. Hi @noobie - this thread could be useful. For those that don't already know (like me), could you please edit the original post to include a brief explanation of what the 1200 models, variations, and upgrades were and what years they were sold?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Having spent many hundred miles on my dealer's various Multistrada 1200 demos, I finally bough one.
    I traded my 16 Panigale 959 and the wife's CBR300R which she rarely used for a Multi 1260 Pikes Peak. I chose this model primarily for the lighter forged wheels. The OEM quick-shifter will be an appreciated feature. I may or may not miss the Skyhook. Time will tell how I like the Ohlins comes this spring.

11. Dar, the ohlins are superb, I'm sure you wont regret it.
    The auto adjustment is great but only if you like swapping modes or loads.

Mike Willis you can buy after market fat-bars, like renthals. Maybe a moto-x pattern will be narrower between the bends. Whether they are significantly different I don't know, but it might be worth investigating.

12. Thanks for the advice, it's about where the bend starts, I may need to offer a few up.

13. I used to commute into London on my 748 - lousy steering lock, but lovely and narrow, and the mirrors were way below those of most other vehicles - the problem with the Multis is that they’re both wide and tall enough to lock mirrors with cars, vans and SUVs. Have you looked at the Renthal bars? - they might well have something that would help.

14. Thanks for the help. I also ride a 999 and it too has a terrible lock but is so low and narrow it is below most car mirrors.
    Much easier in London traffic for sure, The Multistrada makes more sense if the weather is bad, but I do get stuck more.

15. Thanks John,
    I have Ohlins on my Monster as yes they are smooth. In fact, I'll be changing the fork oil and servicing the shock comes the spring. I'm approaching 14,000 kms. Suspension is one of those things that degrade without notice with each ride.

The only setting I may miss with the Skyhook is "Urban" for those rough neglected streets. The rest is all good with Ohlins.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hi bit late to the party but this is my two pennies worth
    I haven't ridden any other multistrada apart from mine a 2013 PP so can't make a comment on previous or newer models
    It is a blast I sold my 1199s Pannigale for this and don't have a single regret I have put 2500 miles on it since purchasing in June I love riding the thing and have another trip booked in October to Wales
    It's will be due it's big service soon but that's just part of the running cost yes it will be expensive but I intend to keep this bike for a while
    I haven't suffered any issues with so called 'tank slapping' and don't find the wind buffering nothing too worry about
    The only issue for me and that's because I'm a short arse at 5ft 6 I struggle with the height I have put a lower seat on which helps a bit but it's still a very tall bike I have seen somewhere on this forum suggesting to change the settings to urban when you know you are going to dismount as this lowers the suspention slightly but haven't tried this yet
    My own personal opinion is that the multistrada is one of the best bikes Ducati have ever made if you get a chance ride one and if you are like me you will end up buying one one very happy Ducati multistrada owner

17. Nice to hear some positive feedback, the more I ride mine the more I love it.
    I would like narrower bars to help with London traffic but apart from that it's great.
    A bit top heavy at first but now well used to it.
    I tend to ride a bit slower on mine, a 1200s than I do on my old 999 which is no bad thing.
    I've just been on a speed awareness course, 40 in a 30 in a van, first one ever, certainly makes you think.

18. Do it! Makes such a difference for urban riding, stopping for fuel etc. Orbs if you have skyhook not ohlins manual suspension.

19. Thanks will definitely try it
    The bike does have skyhook so happy
    Days

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information