1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Hey Help Needed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ducati levi, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Hi guys back again really need some help with this one.... I was out on my bike last night, i stoped at my mates and as i was about to leave i started the bike and the headlight went out i thought the bulb had blown. While riding home the revs died so i had to stop. I turned the ignition back on it was just clicking no power there, turned the ignition back off then i heard a noise like something had burst and loads of smoe started coming from the bike. I pushed it home and striped the side and found the lithium battery had exploded. Ive put a new gel battery on today and the bike has started. I have used a multimeter to read the battery power while not started, idol and revving. When i first started the bike idol voltage was reading 18.94 then i done a 2nd test and idol the bike was 14.50. I tried it at 2k revs and it was 14.50 ad 4k revs was 14.79. The issue is when i tested again the voltage was 18.79 idol, 19.08 at 2k revs and 19.14 at 4k revs. I noticed when the voltage reads to high the is no nuetral light, no indicators and no head light. I have no high beam throughout any of the tests. The back light and brake light work fine all the time. Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance also sorry if this topic has been asked before

2. Reckon you need to have a read up on the R/R threads on here. Many have switch to a mosfet unit off a Diavel or Panigale for example. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Have a look at the connector where the 3 yellow wires come from the alternator.
    4EBE0F4F-4E1B-428F-8C3B-8D0D8EA2B01F.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Hi thanks for your reply dont suppose u have a link mate

5. Soz, forgot how to link. Type regulator, mosfet or rectifier into the search bit. There’s loads of threads on it showing how people have tackled it in different ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Definitely sounds like ya reg/rec . Bit of a shit . Had a nice fire on my 748 due to this .

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 20200918_171949.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bloody hell mate ok im just trying to locate one close by

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 Chris, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. At least if your bike is broken, you will have time to cut your nails. :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Running a ducati i cant afford a pair of nail clippers buddy ahhahah

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ah, a top brand that people say can't catch fire :eyes: heard of a few of these going all napalm on Ducati's of this era :bomb:

13. Just a quick one anyone. If its not my rectifier what else could it be ive just tried to test the rectifier with the meter theres one prong that sometimes shows a -1 so fingers crossed thats whats causing the issue but im just looking on the negative side haha

14. From the little I know, when the reg/rec gives up the ghost it no longer caps the voltage into the battery. A lead acid battery can handle that irregularity a little better than a lithium battery. A lead acid battery will get a little hot under the collar; a lithium battery, a bit like SWMBO, runs the risk of not just getting hot under the collar but going into full scale nuclear meltdown that can result in flames.

My advice is;
    remain with lead acid, or,
    upgrade the reg/rec, or,
    run the risk of an exploding SWMBO, or,
    get a new model, I believe they now do ones that have inbuilt safety devices (Lithium batteries & wives).

15. That’s a shido with inbuilt safety device o_O

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Perhaps that’s why it was ‘only’ smoking and didn’t go into full scale meltdown :thinkingface:. Perhaps the OP just caught it in time.

17. I have a JMT lithium battery in my 900ie for four years odd no issues and just put one in my 996 but i must admit this issue has always bothered me.:scream:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Super safe then o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information